Starboard or port on POA

ksc1984

Which is the best side for sights in the ports? That is, if the ship is docked and we are sitting on our balcony, with side is usually facing the shore. Husband says the port side and that is why it is called port.

Which is the best side for sights in the ports? That is, if the ship is docked and we are sitting on our balcony, with side is usually facing the shore. Husband says the port side and that is why it is called port.

I doubt there is any port in which the Captain docks the same way each time. The ports are pretty industrial in any case, and likely you will be leaving the ship shortly after docking. I would be more concerned about whether I would have a view of the Na Pali sail by in Kauai before sunset, ( view always on the Port, and the lovely views begin not long after leaving port ) and the sail by of the Lava flow about 9:30 PM after leaving Hilo (view always on the Starboard ). Since the Na Pali sail by is a sure thing I'd go for Port side. The lava flow is a 'maybe' based on Pele's whim, and you can always see it from the open decks.

At Maui, the POA docks with its starboard side facing Kahului. Not much to look at though. The best view would probably be aft, where you can look toward the West Maui Mountains and Iao Valley.

We have aft balcony, actually the port/aft corner family suite. Wondering if anyone can confirm if we'll be able to see the lava flow from an aft balcony, or are we better off going to another deck on the starboard side at that time?

i.e. Is the lava view on the starboard aft or do we need to be more forward?