QM2 Wine Packages

Irish Glen

We are taking our 1st voyage (eastbound transatlantic) on the QM2 next month (August). I've noticed that on the QM2 there are a Commodore's and a Captain's wine collection available in 4 to 12 bottle packages. Since my wife and I both enjoy a bottle of wine with dinner (and infrequently at lunch), I am wondering what experiences other cruisers feel about purchasing this, is it a worthwhile option? Do they have to be purchased prior to boarding? Is a service charge added to the purchase price? If you've purchased a package can you request a bottle in other areas besides your main dining room at dinner (Britannia)?

You can purchase the wine packages in advance or on the ship. The price includes the service charge so the price quoted is what you pay.

They do represent a saving, the wine works out as a similar price to the packages but buying individual bottles you need to add the 15% service charge.

Drinking wine from your package is straightforward in the Britannia or Grills restaurants. You can fairly easily arrange bottles in the Verandah as well.

I can't really comment about drinking wine from a package in bars as I have never tried. However I have seen a few posts on here about it, I believe it is possible but may be more trouble than it's worth.

The prices showing on Cunards website in the answer to the "Do you offer drinks packages?" question are as follows:

Captains

4 - $175

6 - $260

9 - $380

12 - $495

Commodore

4 - $250

6 - $360

9 - $525

12 - $660

Larger packages are available for world cruises.

If the prices on the list you have are different from above it is possible you have an older list.

I have a list saved with slightly lower prices, for example the 4 bottle Commodore pack was $225 so there has been an increase. I am not sure when the change occurred but I think it is fairly recent. I have ordered wine for my next crossing and I think I got it at the old prices, but would need to check to be sure.

The older Commodore list included Delamotte Champagne which doesn't seem to show anymore.

I priced some of the wines on the list. They are sold at a reasonable and not an excessive mark-up. Quite tempted to get the Commodore and have a bottle of LBV. Always a nice way to finish a meal.

I have gone for 4 from each list and plan on claiming a bottle of port. As you say, a nice end to a meal.

£133 for 4 bottles of wine is too much for us. We like wine but not at £33 a bottle - £10 is good enough.

I know Cunard is a business, but I'm sure more people would buy a package if it was priced at around £20 a bottle. We would almost certainly do this as by the time you bring your own on board and then add corkage there isn't a great deal of difference.

Never mind, we will bring our own with us and enjoy a drink as the sun appears over the yardarm :D

We have just ordered 12 bottles of very good wines from small producers to take with us and we will pay the corkage. Better value and more interesting choices.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Out of interest if the price of the packages was more realistic (around the £20 a bottle as I said earlier) would you buy the package?

Depends on the quality. We are typically taking wines in the £12-25 retail price range which in a restaurant (with 2.5 to 3 times mark up) I would expect to cost £30-70.

I have looked on the Cunard wine list and a $35 Italian (which with service is $40 or £31) details at less than £6 which is a five fold mark up.

I would rather pay the corkage because for the same £30 I can get a £12 or £15 wine (when buying direct or near direct from growers) and as most people know a £6 bottle of wine contains about 50p of wine whereas a £12 bottle is about £4 or £5 of wine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app