Questions About Second Class Train Ticket

Cruisepm

In October, my husband and I will be traveling from FCO to Florence on a high speed train--Frecciargento. From reading other posts I have learned it is not necessary to purchase a first class train ticket. 1) What is the difference between the base fare, economy fare, and super economy fare for a second class ticket?

2) I understand if I purchase a ticket now a change or refund is not allowed, but the cost is less than on the day of travel. Does anyone know what the charge of a second class ticket may be on the day of travel?

We had no trouble with the second class ticket (we travelled Rome to Venice), it was comfortable. I think if you know which day and time you want to travel get your tickets as soon as you can, because they can sell out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Its like Airlines all sorts of fare types with some restrictions especially for advance purchase or discounted tickets . With the long distance fast trains seat reservations are usually compulsory, so be sure to tarvel on the exact tarin and car you have been assigned. If you need to ctach a later tarin then be sure to go to the station reservation queue and get a fresh seat allocation on the altered train . Don t just jump on board or the Italian Railway Caribeneri can levy fairly hefty fines .

Here is the fare comparison:

1st class: super economy = €44,90, economy = €54,90, base = €76

2nd class: super economy = €29,90, economy = €39,90, base = €55

If you purchase super economy or economy tickets and you miss the train they are worthless. If you purchase base fare in advance and you miss the train by more than one hour they are worthless.

If you purchase the base fare in advance and you miss the train by less than one hour you can change them for another train but you'll wind up going through Termini unless you want to wait more than three hours for the next direct train. (If your tickets are on the 15:08 direct train and you miss it there is no other direct train to wait for, you'd have to take the connecting train.)