QV & QM2 Caribbean Experiences.

robbie_3

Having loved the QM2 Grand Caribbean experience in 2015; this year for a change we thought we might try the QV Caribbean trip in November. May I ask what experiences members have had on a QV Caribbean and what comparisons have members found between the two ships.

I found that as a Vista ship QV lacks the high, wide central corridor that sets QM2 off. The ceilings in the public areas are lower (more in keeping with other cruise ships) aside from the Queens Room which takes advantage of two decks.

On the plus side, the lower ceiling makes QV's Golden Lion feel more like a true, intimate British pub. The Lido has a more sensible layout than King's Court (although KC was vastly improved during QM2's remastering, there is still a long walk between the serving area and many tables). The Queens Room on QV is more central and convenient, such as for the Captain's reception before dinner.

I can't comment on QV in the Caribbean compared the QM2; with the possible exception of St.Thomas where QM2 always seems to tie up at Crown Bay (a mile or two away from Charlotte Amalie's main shopping) rather than at Havensight, or St.Lucia.(always a tender port for QM2) I can't think of any differences in port experiences expected between the two. But I say that with no knowledge of QV's port schedule in the Caribbean.

It's a tough one and we have just been through the same dilemna. In the end we plumped for QV for three reasons.

1. We preferred the ports of call in the Caribbean and weren't fussed about New York.

2 QV had a better choice of balcony cabins left.

3 Financilally QV was significantly less and the obc was much higher.

The last personal reason is that we hope to do a transatlantic crossing next year, so wer saving the QM2 experience for later.

The mix of passengers will be different. The Q.V. wi'll be almost all British (or at least European) clientele. The QM2 will have a high percentage of Americans from NYC on.

As comparison, on the 12 night New York Christmas round trips on QM2, Americans are usually a plurality but not a majority of passengers.

It could be worse (?) - on my recent HAL round trip to Alaska out of Seattle there were around 1300 passengers, over 1100 of whom were Americans.