Making Changes to a Holiday Cruise

We’ve cruised a number of times, but haven’t been in the position that prompts these questions before now. DH, DD, and I have booked a cabin on Liberty for Christmas week. Not the best time to cruise, I know, but it’s the only week DD has off. I did the booking myself on the website, and at the time there were no balconies available, or midship anything (my preference), and Guarantee was not even offered – which I thought was odd. I chose an OV at the stern, since so few cabins were left. I did get a Buy One, Get One Half Off price (BOGOHO?) so the bottom line is I’m happy to have any space on a cruise ship with my family.

Ideally, I’d hope to upgrade soon to midship OV or any balcony, at or before the 90 day point when some folks may surrender their reserved cabins. This creates questions, and I trust the collective knowledge here more than at RCI Customer Service.

1. Am I wrong to hope that I can upgrade (even at a higher cost) on a holiday cruise? If so, the rest of the questions won’t matter.

2. I’m assuming it’s better to ask/arrange this before MY final payment, correct?

3. Should I phone RCI and ask to be put on awaitlist for a better cabin or cabin position, or wait and watch the website until something shows up, and call to request a specific cabin?

4. If I ask for a change, do you think I’ll lose the BOGOHO? That’s not a deal-killer, but will be a factor in weighing my options.

Thanks for your help!

Keep watching the website, other staterooms can open.

You can usually upgrade after final payment with no penalty, assuming that the price of the upgraded stateroom is not limited to new bookings.

If you change categories, you will lose any promo you had and only get the promo in force at the time you make the change.