Lucerne To Airport

JerryInIL

To fly back to the U.S. (ORD), is the Zurich airport the best option from Lucerne? I understand that the train goes directly to the Zurich airport. TIA

We have flown into and out of Zurich airport several times and the last time was before a pre-cruise option to Lucerne and I would say you won't be sorry to book that airport.

Cole

To fly back to the U.S. (ORD), is the Zurich airport the best option from Lucerne? I understand that the train goes directly to the Zurich airport. TIA

I did the reverse transfer by rail--from Zurich Airport to Lucerne--in June; it worked like a charm...

• Transfer from my flight arrival gate/baggage claim to the rail concourse was a bit of a walk--with a month long trip including two roughly consecutive river cruises, I had a fair amount of heavy luggage in tow--but all of the routing was interior, well-signed, and escalators/elevators were readily available whenever needed...
  • As I recall--at least for the reverse routing I needed--several trains per hour were offered from ZRH to Lucerne [weekday/early afternoon]... All of those trains transit to Zurich Central Station after departing the airport but only one train/hour provided direct service to Lucerne so as to avoid a change of trains at Central Station... With the luggage I had, I chose to use the direct train...
  • Start to finish, travel time from the Airport station to Lucerne station on the direct train--with a few intermediate stops along the way--took slightly more than an hour and, with Swiss precision, ran exactly as scheduled...
  • Largely because of the amount of luggage I was toting, I chose to purchase a one-way first class ticket so as to perhaps maximize the space available for me/my stuff while not inconveniencing other passengers... Surely that strategy worked for me--at times, I was the only one in first class-- but hard to tell if I could've accomplished the same goal if I'd traveled in one of the decidedly more crowded second class cars [based upon observation of the number of fellow passengers who also disembarked the train in Lucerne]...
  • On a currency-converted basis, my rail transfer from ZRH to Lucerne priced out at about US$ 52...

I'd thoroughly researched transfer options before my trip and concluded then--can now confirm--that the train was surely the best/most reliable/most economic [switzerland is magnificent but not for the budget-minded!] for me...

Hope this helps... Enjoy your trip...