Canadian using PayPal

InnerChild

Wondering if anyone has noticed that the rate of exchange for Canadians using PayPal is currently .78 to the American dollar. My booking is in Canadian dollars but the excursion payments are all in USD

The only problem is that the Princess site won't let me complete the transaction so that I can finish booking my excursions for a January CB cruise...

I have tried different browsers, and even tried it today on my work computer (which is very secure).

Anyone else having issues using PayPal from Canada?

I'm confused a bit here. How is that you are using PayPal on Princess website? Princess doesn't require PayPal to make payments. Why can't/aren't you simply using your credit card to pay?

Alright, so I went in and did a mock book and for excursions, there is the option to use PayPal or credit card, so why not CC?

PayPal is no doubt going to have a pretty poor exchange rate - not that credit cards are anything to write home about. Even though you booked in CAD, everything on board is USD, so do you happen to have a USD CC? Just asking since many Canadians do, so maybe not or you would go that way.

If you want to use PayPal, then why not register a USD bank account and then you can pay in USD and avoid transaction exchange. You control the rate better buy purchasing USD in bulk and depositing in your USD bank account.

As for the transaction process error, did you try calling Princess tech support and inquire? Could be a technical glitch. (I just went through payment issues for another provider this past evening and they had a site issue). Is everything okay with PayPal status? Kind of hard to troubleshoot here, but I would suggest you can try and improve the USD conversion situation.

Another post was mentioning current buy rates for USD as .78 or .79. Normally a BUY rate is quoted as 1.26 or whatever because we pay over $1 CAD to get a USD. Whichever way you look at it, it costs more than the market rate to buy and you get less when you sell. Makes the money changers happy.

If the current upsurge holds, Princess ought to be adjusting down from 1.30 to 1.25 on their cruise pricing. I would be booking in USD today if I was booking a cruise. Buy USD at 1.25 or better instead of paying 1.30.

Lots to consider, thank you. I did contact customer service as the PP rate was more favorable than my Canadian dollar visa exchange rates.

Still waiting for a resolution,but with the Canadian dollar rising compared to the USD it may be beneficial to wait to book those USD items. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lots to consider, thank you. I did contact customer service as the PP rate was more favorable than my Canadian dollar visa exchange rates.

Still waiting for a resolution,but with the Canadian dollar rising compared to the USD it may be beneficial to wait to book those USD items. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. So I guess you transfer US Cash into PayPal and then transfer or pay with that.

When I have to use PayPal, I am mostly then paying with my USD Visa, so no exchange.

But if going CAD to USD is cheaper there, worth checking for comparison (I have access to near wholesale rate and not "over the counter" bank rates, so I am lucky that way).