4 Night Key West and Havana out of Tampa

davesteding

To me Havana was a must do. Sure there are cheaper ways to get there, but being able to add a cruise to the trip I just had to bite the bullet. We did the second sailing by RCCL to Havana and it was the first out of Tampa. I wrote a lengthy review here, Trip Report - Empress of the Seas - Havana, Cuba - April 30th Sailing, and more than happy to answer any other questions you may have.

• 6 months later...
To me Havana was a must do. Sure there are cheaper ways to get there, but being able to add a cruise to the trip I just had to bite the bullet. We did the second sailing by RCCL to Havana and it was the first out of Tampa. I wrote a lengthy review here, Trip Report - Empress of the Seas - Havana, Cuba - April 30th Sailing, and more than happy to answer any other questions you may have.

I have a few questions and would genuinely appreciate any help, just booked this cruise.

How did you exchange dollars for cucs? I read that there’s a fee for dollars but not for euros?

Do you have to take the ship’s excursions? Again I get conflicting info saying you have to book through RCCL or they won’t let you off the ship?

Were there formal nights on the short cruise and did people go all out? I respect dress codes but truly do not want to wear an evening gown in August.

The drink package is pricey but read in some posts they sometimes have special offers?

Empress is AMAZING (as long as you don't mind a smaller, more old school ship) and Havana was absolutely beautiful. Sailing out of Havana on a ship like Empress was one of my favorite cruise memories.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few questions and would genuinely appreciate any help, just booked this cruise.

How did you exchange dollars for cucs? I read that there’s a fee for dollars but not for euros?

Do you have to take the ship’s excursions? Again I get conflicting info saying you have to book through RCCL or they won’t let you off the ship?

Were there formal nights on the short cruise and did people go all out? I respect dress codes but truly do not want to wear an evening gown in August.

The drink package is pricey but read in some posts they sometimes have special offers?

Exchange happens in the port at Cuba and can only happen in Cuba. The ship won't exchange your money and you can't do it in a US bank. There is a fee to exchange regardless of currency you bring, I think it was about 3%, but USD does impose a 10% additional fee. A lot of banks and travel services (AAA I believe is a good example) offer "free" currency exchange for their member/customers. Note though that even though it is fee free their rates may not be that great. I think https://xe.com/ offers the interbank rate so you can compare with your bank. Also because you will go to USD to Euro to CUC a lot can happen in the days leading up between the exchanges. It comes down to what rate will your bank provide you and do you think that is worth the time? Don't worry though when you get back, exchange any remaining CUC for USD as you only get the 3% fee. 10% tax is only USD to CUC.

As far as I know you don't have to take RCCl's excursions and RCCL couldn't care less enforcing the rules. Royal may limit the times they allow others off the ship which could effect your excursion times, but it actually the Department of Treasury that cares you meet the requirements to visit Cuba. Keep paperwork and documentation as anytime after 5 years you could be audited.

As others mentioned Empress does not have a formal night even on the longer sailings.

I can always find a sale on the Deluxe and Refreshment packages prior to sailing in the cruise planner and for the Deluxe package it is significantly cheaper than onboard. Just off Rhapsody a few weeks ago and pre0cruise was $42/day and onboard was $57/day. I think a lot of sailings do have a drink package sale currently running.