First Time on Cunard Line- Any Advise?

Prince

After 14 cruises on Celebrity and HAL etc--I have booked my first Cunard sailing (Southampton to Fort Lauderdale) on The QM2 in March 2007 in a Q6 Suite. I expect this crossing will be different from my other "cruises" but would love to hear from some experienced sailers on this line. Will I need to plan on Black Tie most nights? Is daytime attire still more dressy? What is the passenger mix like on the ship? Is the Spa on this ship unique? Thank you for any advise you can provide me.

Prince

A Transatlantic crossing on a "Queen" is certainly a different type of voyage from your typical "Caribbean" cruise. Passengers tend to be a little more sophisticated & enjoy the grandeur of a crossing. I think the passagers boarding in Southampton tended to be a little more well heeled. You will not encounter events such as knobby knees contests, beer drinking contests or grandmother brag book parties. Activities tend to be culturally enriching. Things like Royal Academy theater classes, guest speakers holding seminars on subjects such as finance, health, travel. Noted maritime historian, John Maxtone Graham sails often & conducts fascinating sessions on the great ships in history. Yes, evening attire is for the most part formal. There will be a lot of tuxedos, evening gowns & sparkling cocktail attire. On my recent back to back Transatlantic crossing, one night there was an Ascot Ball & a Black & White Ball another night. During the day, you did see some shorts & a few in jeans. Most others had on tasteful shorts outfits or slacks. Those who attended afternoon tea, dressed a little nicer. The Canyon Ranch Spa is one of the best I've seen at sea. They offer a full menu of treatments. They have a good size (indoor) hydro therapy pool & jacuzzi. This large room has many cozy & comfortable woven seagrass lounge chairs w/ ottomans. The tranquility room provides a peacful respite before or after treatments where you can lounge & gaze out of floor to ceiling (1-way) windows onto the promenade deck. If you book a spa treatment, you are entitled to use these facilities for that day. If not, you can pay a fee & have use of them. The QM2 is truly a magnificent ship. Part of the fun of sailing on her is preserving that nostalgic feeling of grand class cruising. I hope you enjoy your crossing as much as I did mine.

Liv4cruzin: Thank you so much for that information. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! It sounds like there is a great deal to do on board of interest. I had the pleasure to dine with Mr. and Mrs. Maxtone Graham on one of my previous cruises--and they were delightful--it would be wonderful if they were on the sailing! Thank you again for your reply.

Archived