Transatlantic weather conditions?

sapphire4

Very interesting posts. I did the Transatlantic on Azura last Autumn, the one where we broke down in the Azores and lots of things went wrong in the Caribbean. Despite all, my friend and I enjoyed everything except the flight back from Barbados. I wouldn't consider that again; if I go back to the Caribbean I shall sail both ways. Taking days to cross the Atlantic is soo relaxing and reminds us that's it's a big world. I am fortunate in that I'm a good sailor, but there are remedies for those who aren't, who I suspect don't cruise much anyway; it's why my husband doesn't.

I am fortunate in that I'm a good sailor, but there are remedies for those who aren't, who I suspect don't cruise much anyway; it's why my husband doesn't.

I laughed at this, as I get awful motion sickness, in the car, coach, train, ship, etc... but I’ve learnt how to control it. I’ve been like this since I can remember, and I’ve never got better (too many inner ear problems) despite my parents having a sea/river boat, etc. My mum told me I was the only person she knew who could go physically green...

I know which tablets work for me. I struggled when Boots stopped doing them, but they’ve restarted luckly. Crossing the Drake Passage, the ship doctor had to give me something stronger at one point (luckily free of charge I found) but it doesn’t stop me going on a cruise as I enjoy it as long as I take precautions. And if I do feel ill when it’s stormy, I go for a lie down and close my eyes. I also always book a balcony so my brain and ears can get into synch, esp at the beginning of a cruise... luckily Aurora (who we almost always sail on ) travels well and I can control it... During art class last Christmas I did have to leave once as the Crows Nest was moving just too much for my brain.