What do women really wear for dinner?

sparker

My husband and I will be cruising December 30, 2005 on the Caribbean Princess and have open seating for dinner. I have purchased (1) formal dress for the cruise but I noticed "no jeans" in dinning room. Does this include personal choice dining? I don't want to be over dressed or under dressed. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Suzanne

Yes, the Princess no jeans policy means both Anytime and Traditional Dining, they both use assigned dining rooms. You may find jeans and/or shorts in the buffet area (Horizon Court) at night. There are many, many threads discussing everyone's opinions and beliefs about what one should or should not wear; if you stick with the basic description Princess offers in their brochure and website you will blend right in with about 95% of the passengers. The other 5% will be at both ends of the spectrum.

What I usually really wear on non-formal nights is slacks and a sweater set or slacks and a nice blouse with a sweather thrown over my shoulders. I pair these with dressy sandals or low heeled shoes because I seem to walk clumsily on cruise ships.

I have seen women in skirts and tops, dressy capris and crop pants, sundresses, Tommy Bahama floral outfits (I haven't cruised in Alaska), what I call Sunday-Go-to-Meeting clothing and somewhat more casual outfits.

Actually I've seen just about everything from women who wear at leasta cocktail dress every night to women who wear what I call daytime casual almost every night.

On a November Carnival cruise I was struck how many younger women were wearing the popular multi-tiered or ruffled or flared, printed and often spangled and beaded full length skirts with sixties tops. They paired these with sandals and many carried spangled hobo bags.

Archived