Question about QM2 Grill

Prince

I have a booking on the QM2 with dining in the Queen's Grill. I was under the impression that it was "restaurant style" seating--(I arrive--they seat me) but my travel agent asked me what table size I wanted.

Can anyone who has experience with the Grill dining elighten me on how this works? Will I be assigned a table with other people--do we all dine at the same time. I am confused!

Thank you very much

Prince

Not quite the same as restaurant seating. You can turn up any time during the restaurant opening hours. If you want a full meal it is best not to arrive in the last half hour of the opening hours. You have an allocated table, which is yours exclusively for all your meals. This is great because you also have the same waiters and they will soon get to know how your preferences. At the first meal the restaurant manager will show you to your table and introduce your waiters. After the first meal most people make their own way to their table.

What your travel agent wants to know is what size table you would like the restaurant manager to allocate to you. Some people like to dine alone, as a couple or with the company of a larger group. If for any reason you do not like your table just speak to the restaurant manager and they will do all they can to accommodate you. If you are on a table with others they will start to serve people as they arrive. Most tables get in to natural routine of eating at roughly the same time.

You should have a fantastic experience in the Queens Grill. The service and food is superb. Many dishes will be flambed at your table. In addition to the table d’hote (which changes daily) and the a la carte (fixed) menu you can order almost anything you like. Just speak to your waiter a meal in advance.

Best wishes, Stephen.

The Queens Grill has a large number of 2-tops and 4-tops (as compared to other ships). They assume a couple may always prefer to dine alone .. or two couples traveling together (or meeting onboard) would prefer that setting.

As I was traveling alone, I asked for a large table .. and was moved to one of the few 8-tops that I noticed (granted I was near the doorway so never really explored the far end of the room).

I LOVED it. The three couples and other solo traveler were a joy to travel with. Breakfast and lunch we would sometimes run into each other (and share plans for the day) .. for dinner we sometimes met in the lounge for drinkies and then moved to dinner (most nights we ate as a group about 7 to 7:30pm). Several of the table were regulars at Tea in the Gill Lounge .. so it made for even more fun.

I know staff changes .. but Benjamino (Benjamin) was the Matre De (guy in charge) and he was FABULOUS. The first night you have to sit at your assigned table .. and then the second day (breakfast as I recall) he will have you moved to your 'final' table if you so request a change.

Our large table ended up chatting with several of the other 2 and 4 tops in the area .. and we had a smashing time.

You can order off the nightly menu ... or the fixed menu (dinner only) when every you want. There is also a special vegetarian menu. The 'for two or more' options on the fixed menu were FABULOUS and I highly recommend the duck! We ordered it for the entire table one night .. plus a few 'extras'.

I think I had caviar every night ... which is on the fixed menu ... One day I asked my Indian Butler if there were any good Indian chefs onboard .. and he said that some of the staff meals were nice Indian style .. to ask Benjamin. I asked one night of a shrimp korma .. and the next night they had made enough for everyone at the table to share and enjoy (and for our Indian assistant waiter to even get a few leftovers) (several commented that this 'special request' was far better than the daily menu items).

Queens Grill is an experience. It is totally what you make of it. I NEVER ate in the buffets even for breakfast .. a nice mushroom omlette made fresh and served with proper toast and marmalade was far better than flighting the buffet crowds.

Archived