CHEERS program timeline

pepperbow

Hello,

For a cruise that leaves Charleston to Bahamas for a Sunday thru Thursday.... do you have to buy the package for 5 days?...or does the package cover Sun thru Wednesday night? is there a cut off time Wednesday night?

Also, I noticed with pre-paying for a alcohol plan , that the 15 gratuity is added.... but I also see that people leave a cash tip with each drink they order. Is that customary ? I'm ok with that if that is the case, but wanted to check.

On a side note, its a bummer that I have to buy the package for my 70 yr old Mom, who doesnt even drink, simply because my sister and I are rooming with her :(

I know that some might just say my sister and I should just pay ala carte ... I just don't want to be stuck with any surprises at the end of the cruise

Hello,

For a cruise that leaves Charleston to Bahamas for a Sunday thru Thursday.... do you have to buy the package for 5 days?...or does the package cover Sun thru Wednesday night? is there a cut off time Wednesday night?

Also, I noticed with pre-paying for a alcohol plan , that the 15 gratuity is added.... but I also see that people leave a cash tip with each drink they order. Is that customary ? I'm ok with that if that is the case, but wanted to check.

On a side note, its a bummer that I have to buy the package for my 70 yr old Mom, who doesnt even drink, simply because my sister and I are rooming with her :(

I know that some might just say my sister and I should just pay ala carte ... I just don't want to be stuck with any surprises at the end of the cruise

Cheers 24 hr day is from 6am -6am, It sounds as if your cruise is a 4 nighter....Therefore your package would expire at 6am on Thursday. I believe you can wait until the 2nd day to purchase. Not sure if there is a cruise day limit for that option to happen. I just finished an 8 day cruise and they offered the Cheers package thru Day 2. Adding a dollar or two either in cash or onto the gratuity line on your receipt is much appreciated by staff. Not saying you need/should do for each drink...but if you do it a few times at beginning of cruise...the bar tenders and servers will not only appreciate it but likely bend over backwards to serve you. You will be remebered.

So you can buy Cheers on the 2nd day of the cruise? I will be on the Victory in April.

Here's where some cruisers have had different experiences than others. In part it may be how the beverage manage or the accounting office on board is interpreting the "rules" of Cheers, but some have said they get a prorated price meaning if they wait until the first full day on board, they are not charged for embarkation day and the per drink price charges remain on their S&S billing until they purchase the program while on board. Others report that they still pay for the entire # of cruise days, with any included drink purchased and any auto-gratuity paid prior to the buying the program being refunded. With the per person increase of $5 per day on Cheers being charged once on board it is a gamble you take for the small potential savings.

Also to note for those sailing in 2018 and beyond the price of Cheers there will be a $2 per person per day increase to the program. So if you can purchase now to lock in the savings do so, otherwise the on board purchase price will be a $7 increase over what it is now.

If the ship you are on in 2018 is prorating rather than backdating here is the possible savings.

cruise - prepay now - on board '18 - savings

3 days - $ 172.33 - $ 130.99 - $ 41.34

4 days - $ 229.77 - $ 196.48 - $ 33.26

5 days - $ 287.21 - $ 261.97 - $ 25.24

6 days - $ 344.66 - $ 327.46 - $ 17.20

7 days - $ 402.10 - $ 392.96 - $ 9.14

8 days - $ 459.54 - $ 458.45 - $ 1.09

As you can see for cruises of 5 days or more the small savings gets only 3 or less pay as you go adult beverages.

one option you may not have thought about is buying some cruise cash in advance. If you and your sister are not heavy drinkers say 8 or more each per day it may work out better. you can buy $500 in cruise cash in advance and that would help with the bill at the end so it may not be as much of a sticker shock in the end.

Here's where some cruisers have had different experiences than others. In part it may be how the beverage manage or the accounting office on board is interpreting the "rules" of Cheers, but some have said they get a prorated price meaning if they wait until the first full day on board, they are not charged for embarkation day and the per drink price charges remain on their S&S billing until they purchase the program while on board. Others report that they still pay for the entire # of cruise days, with any included drink purchased and any auto-gratuity paid prior to the buying the program being refunded. With the per person increase of $5 per day on Cheers being charged once on board it is a gamble you take for the small potential savings.

Also to note for those sailing in 2018 and beyond the price of Cheers there will be a $2 per person per day increase to the program. So if you can purchase now to lock in the savings do so, otherwise the on board purchase price will be a $7 increase over what it is now.

If the ship you are on in 2018 is prorating rather than backdating here is the possible savings.

cruise - prepay now - on board '18 - savings

3 days - $ 172.33 - $ 130.99 - $ 41.34

4 days - $ 229.77 - $ 196.48 - $ 33.26

5 days - $ 287.21 - $ 261.97 - $ 25.24

6 days - $ 344.66 - $ 327.46 - $ 17.20

7 days - $ 402.10 - $ 392.96 - $ 9.14

8 days - $ 459.54 - $ 458.45 - $ 1.09

As you can see for cruises of 5 days or more the small savings gets only 3 or less pay as you go adult beverages.

Very informative. Thank you for your time.