Wine prices on Australian cruises

hazand

Those wine prices are for cruises where the onboard costs are in USD.

On the Australian cruises the listed prices are in AUD and there is no added gratuity, it's built into the price. Unfortunately I can't find a list of the per bottle wine prices, only by the glass prices, and the last three AUD cruises we've done we had the drinks package so I didn't take much notice of the per bottle prices. Sorry!

If Princess doesn't change the wine list and stock lots of Aussie and NZ wines (now, wouldn't that be a novel approach !!), then I would expect that the current US list is converted at some exchange rate to AUD (after bumping them up 15% or so). That is just an educated guess.

If I am more or less on the mark so far, then I find it hard to believe you could not buy Aussie wine locally and beat the pants off Princess pricing and gain in quality for dollars spent as well.

I suspect they base the conversion to AUD on the wholesale price, not the USD cruise retail price, otherwise many wines would be too expensive in the Aussie region and I don't recall them being so. Unfortunately I'm not doing another cruise until March so won't be able to check the prices until then unless I can get someone to post them on FB.

I suspect they base the conversion to AUD on the wholesale price, not the USD cruise retail price, otherwise many wines would be too expensive in the Aussie region and I don't recall them being so. Unfortunately I'm not doing another cruise until March so won't be able to check the prices until then unless I can get someone to post them on FB.

You might try asking on this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2551930

They are on Golden Princess right now out of Melbourne. But they don't drink wine, so IDK if you can get wine list info. They have ton of experience on Princess and might know if list is much different than the US-based list. But, like I said, they aren't drinking wine.

Another option, is if you can find an active Roll Call for a ship in the region, you might get a reply?

Thanks, Steelers36. I've posted a request on PescadoAmarillo's blog thread, and also on a FB forum.

Your spreadsheet is great, BTW. It's interesting to see the US retail price of the wines and, of course, Princess would get them far cheaper than that, I imagine.

Assuming I can get the AUD prices, comparing the two wines list is going to be a very interesting exercise :D.

So far the only useful info I've gleaned is that the cheapest white wine was AU $28 a bottle, for an Australian McWilliams Sauvignon Blanc. Princess does have a reasonable selection of Australian wines when operating down here.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ