Island Princess-Hawaii

Irene cruiser

We were on the IP with Lyn (gunnywife) and the food in the dining room was excellent. We had the best Head Waiter ( Daniele-2nd seating table 132) he made us special pasta's that were fantastic. We told him we like prosciutto and fresh Parmesan cheese and on several nights when we got to our table it would be sitting there for us to enjoy with our wine. The cheese was huge chunks...

The staff on board including the passengers where all fabulous. It seem like everyone was really enjoying themselves. I do know that there was a big turn over in crew at the end of our cruise 100+ crew members were going home (maybe that is why they were so happy);)

We ate the Bayou 4 times and Johnny B is the best waiter. If you go make sure you ask Robert (head waiter) to put you at his table.

We did the ATV's in Maui and that was awesome, there were only 9 of us and they really lets us have a good time. In Hilo (we had already seen the volcano) we went to the black beaches (about 45 mins past the volcano) and saw the sea turtles sunning themselves. We were also invited up to the bridge to watch us leave Hilo which was fun. There was a crew member that missed the ship that day, Captain was not happy. Kona, we did the Ocean Kayak tour FYI it is a lot of work but fun and the boys play golf and loved it. Oahu, we rented a car and found the beach where LOST is filmed, then set out to find the plane. The plane is no longer on the beach but we found it at a yard that was all fenced in but we got some pictures, then went down to Turtle Bay Resort to see were some of the other filming had been done. The boys played golf here and did not like it, not a good course. Kauai we did a helicopter tour with Safari, much cheaper than the ship (140.00 pp) had a awesome time.

I think I have covered the basics if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Disembarkation was smooth, we had a flight out at 12:30 and where at the airport by 10:15 and checking by 10:30. We found a skycap and paid him 20.00 so we did not have to wait in line (which was Long). On the other hand we heard that the cruise before us was not allowed to disembark until 11:00 AM and a lot of people missed flights.

If there was anything bad about this cruise it was the cool weather after we left Hawaii, you could not enjoy the outside pool, it became to windy and cold. We did end up at the Lotus pool and enjoyed ourshelves there, just sitting back watching the world go by. Now that is cruising!

Deb

BBQ Bill - Nope this was cruise 23 for us, 2nd time for Hawaii which the first was on the Infinity...We have been on Princess 8 times and we are booked on the Tahitian Princess next November (to far away for my liking)...Holland America 12 times and Celebrity 2 times.

It is always good to have a great connection with your head waiter and Daniele was the best we have ever had.

I do agree that some of items on the menu (not many though) were not that great but if I didn't care for it (our waiter was fantastic) he would take it back and get me something else. I never left hungry:eek: :eek: :D

JAGMANSS1,

We were in Kauai on the day the Island Princess was there, and went down to the park near the harbor entrance in Nawiliwili to watch the ship sail out. Kind of a nasty day, cold and drizzling. I have to admit, even though we were in Kauai for a week (and, on the Big Island for another week), we were a little jealous watching the ship sail out-- quite an impressive sight. We just like cruising, so much!!

Regarding Island Princess food – there were a number of reports of how the food in the dining room was sub-par before my cruise last April. I found the food in the dining room to be excellent, except for the dessert soufflés. A new pastry chef had come on board and our waiter warned me, but I had one anyway…and then understood the warning. Later in the cruise, he told me “it’s OK now” and like magic, the soufflé was great.

Jake - I think I am going to email Princess and see if I can get him on our next cruise:D :D

Have to say that the souffles were not the best but they still were not that bad-especially the chocolate....

Deb

My husband and I just returned from an Hawaiian cruise (12/7). The tours were excellent

The entertainment was the best we've seen on any cruise ship. Very updated routines, scenery and costumes. The singers and comics were very good. Our waiter and assistant waiter were excellent. No request was too difficult. Food in the Horizon room was pretty good. The pizza was great. However, the food in the dining room, during dinner, was disappointing most of the cruise. The food seemed warmed over with sauce or gravy on top of almost everything. We've cruised with Princess about 8 times and this is the first time we've had this experience. We would like to know if anyone else had a similar experience on this cruise.

It is obvious we all have diferent opinions. I was on the same cruise 12/7 and have some slightly diferent feelings.

First I thought the entertainment was just fair. Fell asleep during Duncan Tuck shows, Kevin Hughes "Relationship" shows were poor, Jeff Wayne and Philadelphia were probably the best shows.

Our waiter was terrible the first few nights, but a talk with the head waiter made for improved service the rest of the cruise. I found the food in the dining room was quite good, but was disapointed in the selection mix. There were nights that I had a hard time finding something I wanted and others I had a hard time making a choice because there were so many good items. Horizon court food was ok but again limited selection at lunch. Most of our lunch was obtained from the Pizza or Hamburger bar, which were both excellent. Breakfast in Horizon was good as long as you went to the egg bar and had omletts or eggs any style.

I find the tours to be overpriced. We rented a car in each port and saw and did twice as much as any tours and at half the price or less. Renting cars for this cruise is the way to go.

I do not understand why so many rave about David Cole as a cruise director. His deputy director, Leah Hemsley was a much better hostess. Much of his staff did a majority of the work and I was particullary impressed with Veronica, Andy, and James.

So you can see that there will be diferent opinions from folks on the same cruise.

Too bad you did not join our Cruise Critic group as we had a super time and a marvelous group. Hi Jake & Heather, glad to see you made it home OK.

Stan

Help!!!!! We are booked on the Island this spring and are quite concerned with the recent reviews claiming bad food.

We dont expect 5 star dining. We are hoping for quality and fresh selection.

We also like to get room service off of the dinner menu if available. Available on previous hal and X sailings.

From reviews I get the impression if you dont eat hamburgers and pizza you may be unhappy.

Any suggestions?

Help!!!!! We are booked on the Island this spring and are quite concerned with the recent reviews claiming bad food.

We also like to get room service off of the dinner menu if available. Available on previous hal and X sailings.

From reviews I get the impression if you dont eat hamburgers and pizza you may be unhappy.

Any suggestions?

Well, I am going on this cruise on Friday and will post yet another review of the ship and its amenities....although I am looking for a different angle for the review....hope it shows up during the cruise.

As you can tell from the previous reviews:

The food is bad....the food is good

The shows are bad....the shows are good

The excursions were great.....the excursions are overpriced

The service was great....the service was poor

To me, the cruise is what you make it. If you expect the 5-star dining experience, you will be disappointed (and I don't think you are). If you have been on previous cruises, you know what to expect. Some meals will be good, others not so good. If you haven't been on other cruises, just sit back and ENJOY. In the dining room, if you don't like your dinner, you can order something else, likely a steak or something that they offer everyday.

My advice, don't worry about the food. You won't go hungry and you will find something you like.

Any suggestions?

We were on the Island last Spring and had a GREAT time! Food was good, if not always outstanding. We had no trouble finding SOMETHING to eat..........every meal, and sometimes, even, in between. :) We enjoyed one of the Relationship shows, thought David Cole was the best cruise director we'd had, enjoyed other shows, did one ship's tour, and rented cars in other ports. The one thing you will be disappointed in is that you cannot order room service off of the dinner menu unless you are in a full suite. The upside is that the Horizon Court serves mostly the same food as the dining rooms at dinner time, and you COULD take food back to your cabin. Our embarkation and disembarkation was fine, and we were on the ship by 12:30, and off by 9:30, being one of the last off, as we had driven to the port. The cabin steward was great, and all of the wait staff was good. We had a fun bunch of people aboard that we met online before we went.

Everyone has differing opinions of the same cruise, but wanted to give you ours.......... Have fun!

Well, I am going on this cruise on Friday and will post yet another review of the ship and its amenities....although I am looking for a different angle for the review....hope it shows up during the cruise.

As you can tell from the previous reviews:

The food is bad....the food is good

The shows are bad....the shows are good

The excursions were great.....the excursions are overpriced

The service was great....the service was poor

To me, the cruise is what you make it. If you expect the 5-star dining experience, you will be disappointed (and I don't think you are). If you have been on previous cruises, you know what to expect. Some meals will be good, others not so good. If you haven't been on other cruises, just sit back and ENJOY. In the dining room, if you don't like your dinner, you can order something else, likely a steak or something that they offer everyday.

My advice, don't worry about the food. You won't go hungry and you will find something you like.

AMEN!!!!

Have a great cruise. I am going on the Island Princess on Jan.21st and can't wait. I know I won't go hungry.

West Coast Cruiser

I would rate the food on the Island Princess a 1, the only time we enjoyed the dinners were when they had Lobster,The steak was awful, couldn't even eat it it was so awful.Breakfast in dinning room was ok. Never did go to the buffet, we don't like all the pushing and rude people. We are going to try the Celebrity in May, hope it is better!!!

I would rate the food on the Island Princess a 1, the only time we enjoyed the dinners were when they had Lobster,The steak was awful, couldn't even eat it it was so awful.Breakfast in dinning room was ok. Never did go to the buffet, we don't like all the pushing and rude people. We are going to try the Celebrity in May, hope it is better!!!

Wow, at least it made the big board! I bet you lost about, what, 20 pounds for the 15 day cruise? I don't know what it is like to not eat for 15 days.....how did that work out?

Sorry, but maybe we are use to better food,but you enjoy it if you can!!! Know :confused: need to be rude, just giving my opinion!! It seem if you don't agree with everybody on this site, they are rude to you!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Stan: Thanks one more time for your "daily" comments on your cruise. My favorite item on my cruises are the morning pastries and the fresh fruits. Of the fruits I especially love pineapple especially when it is the golden variety that is sugar sweet. Was wondering how it was on your cruise??? I noticed more and more the sales of pineapple in our supermarkets so it must be the season. We're packing now to head out to the golden state but hope the rains stop by this coming weekend.

John L.

Sorry, but maybe we are use to better food,but you enjoy it if you can!!! Know :confused: need to be rude, just giving my opinion!! It seem if you don't agree with everybody on this site, they are rude to you!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Look, and its just my opinion, but there is NO WAY anyone can rate food on Princess a 1.....just NO WAY. You must be exaggerating. I can understand if you didn't care for it, but a 1? The menu is prepared by executive chefs, the food is prepared by experienced cooks under direct supervision of a chef, the food is tasted every time before it goes out to the dining room, etc., etc. It just isn't believeable when you suggest a rating of 1, which is just a notch above a dumpster. Sorry, but your rating isn't believeable. And I'm not flaming you, just trying to be clear and direct.

Stan: Thanks one more time for your "daily" comments on your cruise. My favorite item on my cruises are the morning pastries and the fresh fruits. Of the fruits I especially love pineapple especially when it is the golden variety that is sugar sweet. Was wondering how it was on your cruise??? I noticed more and more the sales of pineapple in our supermarkets so it must be the season. We're packing now to head out to the golden state but hope the rains stop by this coming weekend.

John L.

John you will want to hit La Patisserie in the morning for their pastery, and fresh brewed coffee. If you like the speciality coffees then get a "Coffee Card" early in the cruise. The cost is around $25 and you get fifteen specialtie coffees. That works out to way cheaper than buying each individually.

The pineapple was very good and as you say sweet. Both od us had some every day either at breakfast or lunch.

Stan

I have read a lot of posts about the quality of Princess' food. In my prior post I asked people to rate the food between 1 and 10 (1 being the lowest). As a chef, I want to make clear that I consider McDonalds to be a 1 and Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays and TGIF to be around a 4 to 5. I have always considered Princess' food to be a 7 or 8 (depending on the ship) because of the quality and preparedness. Using this as a baseline, how would you rate Princess' food? I fully understand that not everyone will be happy with the food. However, when people review the food, I would appreciate more detail on your individual experience, i.e., was the fish soggy, was your steak cooked as you requested, etc.

This will be our first trip on the Island Princess and I am most curious how the food compares with other ships. Thanks Bill ;)

Look, and its just my opinion, but there is NO WAY anyone can rate food on Princess a 1.....just NO WAY. You must be exaggerating. I can understand if you didn't care for it, but a 1? The menu is prepared by executive chefs, the food is prepared by experienced cooks under direct supervision of a chef, the food is tasted every time before it goes out to the dining room, etc., etc. It just isn't believeable when you suggest a rating of 1, which is just a notch above a dumpster. Sorry, but your rating isn't believeable. And I'm not flaming you, just trying to be clear and direct.

I agree, but after the number of Princess cruises I have taken, maybe I just know what to pick off the menu. It’s difficult to believe the food rated a 1 based only on steak and lobster. I have heard that the Always Available steak in the dining room isn’t up to par – but the always available Chicken Breast on Island Princess was excellent...as was everything else that I chose. The only things I didn't like were things that I shouldn't have picked in the first place. And I have never been pushed in Horizon Court…

One gentleman that I sailed with on Dawn Princess last month was very disappointed with the food - he ate it anyway - but his expectation was set very high...too high for a Princess cruise.

Best of luck to the poster on Celebrity - however I've heard from some that the food there is only marginally better - if at all - than Princess.

Archived