Jellyfish in PV?

cruise pup

I've read several reports that people got stung by jellyfish in Puerto Vallerta WHILE SNORKELING. Is this a common occurance? Is it all over or are there certain beaches or off-shore sites where they can be avoided?

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00

Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04; QM2 - 5/04

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to predict when and where the jellyfish will be on any given day...

Even the locals don't know until they see the water icon_frown.gif

I can tell you that they are generally NOT those tiny ones like FL and the Caribbean have at times, and they do not always sting you if you drift into them.

The ones I saw were in the 3-10" diameter range and mostly clear- they are not always at the surface, but within 10 feet I'd say.

If you keep your eyes out, and paddle away from them, you will be fine.

If by chance you DO get stung, it will help to apply vinegar, lime juice, or...ahem...well, pee icon_redface.gif

I understand it is pretty unpleasant for an hour to up to a day in the worst cases, but nothing like the multi-hundreds nasty stings of the pinhead-sized ones!

Hope this helps a bit,

S

Archived