When & where to see the whales???

Rdwhite1999

Myself and my husband would like to plan a curise to the Mexican Riviera and are really interested in seeing the whales. When would be the best time to do this and from which port? Would there be any whales there in either November or early December?

I'm not sure without looking it up in my travel books. But we were there on the Feb 6th Pride and we had a great whalewatching tour in Cabo, better than our Juneau tour. We didn't have to go a long way to get there either as it was right outside of the harbor. We saw humpbacks, mantareys, dolphins/porpoises.

• 1 month later...

We went on the HAL Sea of Cortez cruise in March and still saw many whales between Cabo and Loreto right from the ship. I also went to Cabo in early November and saw some greys right up close while on the return from a snorkeling trip. The prime whale watching season is December through Feb.

We booked the whalewatching tour through Carnival as we didn't know what to do in Cabo until just before we left. It was on a large new catamaran the CaboRey and was $75 or 79 each. This included open bar and snacks for about 2.5 hours. There is no travel time as the whales were right off the harbor. You could book one of the numerous small boats from the dock as we saw many. We saw about four whales, including one or two females, one baby and at least one male. But the whales just stayed out there with us. We didn't have to move too far and they just kept surfacing all around us. I got better pictures here than our whalewatching in Juneau or in maui.

I don't know when they come in to MR or when they leave, but early Feb was great. I would do again. Open bar was okay too!!!Especially if you don't buy $6 drinks on ship all week!

Hola from PV! I can only speak for Puerto Vallarta but legally, the whale watching tours here run from December 15 through the end of March. So, if you book one outside of those dates, obviously the guides/company is not in accordance with the rules, at least here in Vallarta. There are plenty of whales in the bay during those times, as well as lots of dolphins.

Archived