Post Cruise Stockholm Or Amsterdam

rnladyr

We will be on the Holland America Amsterdam Cruise August 11th Copenhagen to Copenhagen and would like to spend some time in either Amsterdam or Stockholm after the cruise, do get a day in Stockholm on our cruise itinerary but after viewing the Baltic Treasures DVD by John Lawrence, feel we would like to spend more time in one of these cities unfortunately can't do both. How difficult is it to get from Copenhagen to Stockholm or Amsterdam?

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question, I hope that if we can't drive maybe we can take the train, Stockholm looks wonderful with so many things to see. Again, thanks and have a great 10th visit, and if you have time would love your recommendation of a hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

I have stayed at the Raddison Strand in Stockholm. The location cannot be beat. The included breakfast (some rates at least includes breakfast) was great, and the rooms were fine. It is not 5 star. I also stayed at the Clarion on the south side of Stockholm, which is a HUGE hotel, in a very trendy neighborhood, close to a subway stop, 5 min ride into Gamla stan. I have found that hotels in Stockholm (at least where I have stayed) are of fine quality, clean and good breakfasts. I use www.tripadvisor.com for ideas about hotels.

There are flights between Stockholm and Copenhagen. The airport in Stockholm is 20 min. away on the express train. Trains of course will take you all the way into town .

Greta Larsson

Hello Greta.

Thank you very much for the information, actually, if possible we would like to take a train and will look into this. We have our flight to and from Copenhagen on SAS using frequent flyer miles so the trick will be to see if we can take a later flight out of Copenhagen allowing us to spend a few days in Stockholm. Now I will have to find a web address for trains out of Copenhagen to Stockholm, this is such fun. Also thanks for the info. about hotels, I will check out the hotels you suggest on Expedia, I have also heard that the Sheraton is nice, we are staying at the Marriot in Copenhagen. Thanks again and Happy New Year. Rebecca

There are about 9 trains a day from Copenhagen to Stockholm - 2 non-stop. The trip takes just over 5 hours each way.

To see the timetables, visit http://www.resplus.se.

You can book your ticket online with http://www.sj.se.

You'll be looking at a ticket in the range of 1100SEK each way per person (about $140).

There are about 9 trains a day from Copenhagen to Stockholm - 2 non-stop. The trip takes just over 5 hours each way.

To see the timetables, visit http://www.resplus.se.

You can book your ticket online with http://www.sj.se.

You'll be looking at a ticket in the range of 1100SEK each way per person (about $140).

I love the trains in Sweden, especially the high speed X2000. Be sure to go during daylight hours, it's a beautiful country.

Enjoy your stay

Al

• 1 month later...

We are also booked on the Amsterdam August 11th. We are flying into Copenhagen 3 days early and are spending 3 days in Stockholm after the cruise. I imagine we will take the train. We just felt one day was not long enough for Stockholm, to us one of the highlights of the trip. My grandmother was born in Stockholm.

Have you thought about plans for St. Petersburg? We had contacted Alla, but she is booked for the days we will be there. She said she can arrange another guide for the time, but it seems a bit high priced for the two of us although we are considering it. We would like to spend more time walking around neighborhoods, going to markets, and riding the subway than Denrus and Red October seem to allow for in their economy tours.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

We are also booked on the Aug 11 cruise out of Copenhagen.

I have sent several e-mail to the private tour companies and have yet to hear back from any.

Good luck to you... maybe we'll see you on board!

Archived