Ships Time v. Local Time Oasis in San Juan

We will be stopping in San Juan on Feb 1st and I'm wondering if we have time to complete something. Prior Cruise Compass' say that you have to be back on board by 1:30 pm ship's time, but is that actually 2:30 pm local San Juan time? We want to go to a local restaurant that doesn't open until noon. Don't want to do it if we have to rush and worry about traffic getting back. The extra hour will make the difference.

Since the cruise originates in EST, I am assuming that they won't set the ship's clock back one hour, but you know what happens when you assume...

Look at your itinerary on RC's website or on your booking confirmation, those times are supposed to be local times.

RC site says arrive 7am depart 2pm

A previous Cruise Compass says, "All aboard at 1:30 pm Ship's Time."

Why spell out "Ship's Time" if it's the same as local time?

I'm thinking that the ship stays on EST, but would like to hear from someone who has done this stop with a RCCL ship recently to confirm.

RC site says arrive 7am depart 2pm

A previous Cruise Compass says, "All aboard at 1:30 pm Ship's Time."

Why spell out "Ship's Time" if it's the same as local time?

I'm thinking that the ship stays on EST, but would like to hear from someone who has done this stop with a RCCL ship recently to confirm.

They always say ship's time when they are telling you when to get back, that's the convention they want you to follow..

Last month on Harmony ship's time remained on EST, one hour behind San Juan. The booking confirmation said 7:00 am arrival, 2:00 pm departure, which was 8:00 and 3:00 local time AST, respectively. However, the captain decided to delay our departure for one hour to give everyone more time in port, so our all aboard time was changed to 2:30 pm ship's time, which was 3:30 local time. This was published in the Cruise Compass the day before arrival and also displayed on the signs at the gangway.

Moral of the story is that the published times can change.

We will be stopping in San Juan on Feb 1st and I'm wondering if we have time to complete something. Prior Cruise Compass' say that you have to be back on board by 1:30 pm ship's time, but is that actually 2:30 pm local San Juan time? We want to go to a local restaurant that doesn't open until noon. Don't want to do it if we have to rush and worry about traffic getting back. The extra hour will make the difference.

Since the cruise originates in EST, I am assuming that they won't set the ship's clock back one hour, but you know what happens when you assume...

So the various responses have me confused....when I was on the 12 day Anthem cruise in December, we moved our clocks forward to Atlantic Time (San Juan local) at sea, and back to Eastern Time at sea on the return home...so am surprised that the practice varies either from ship to ship, or on individual sailings..:confused:..

BTW, I like your 'signature'!:cool:

So the various responses have me confused....when I was on the 12 day Anthem cruise in December, we moved our clocks forward to Atlantic Time (San Juan local) at sea, and back to Eastern Time at sea on the return home...so am surprised that the practice varies either from ship to ship, or on individual sailings..:confused:..

BTW, I like your 'signature'!:cool:

The captain decides whether to change the ship's clocks, and it can vary by captain, and even with the same captain sailing to sailing. The changing of the ship's time is not predictable.

We were on the Independence sailing from Fort Lauderdale visiting San Juan on Christmas Eve and the captain had us changed the clock to be one hour ahead to conform to local time during the winter months.

The advantage of that process is we are the same as local time for next 4 ports so we don't have to worry about converting ship time with local time, especially if you have independent tours arranged.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

We were on the Independence sailing from Fort Lauderdale visiting San Juan on Christmas Eve and the captain had us changed the clock to be one hour ahead to conform to local time during the winter months.

The advantage of that process is we are the same as local time for next 4 ports so we don't have to worry about converting ship time with local time, especially if you have independent tours arranged.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

I agree....almost every form of transportation that cross time lines, land, sea, or air....usually shows their schedule in local time at each stop. I can't see why they would want to stay on "ship's time" if it were different....perhaps just for the convenience of the crew, not having to endure a 'short night'?:confused:

I agree....almost every form of transportation that cross time lines, land, sea, or air....usually shows their schedule in local time at each stop. I can't see why they would want to stay on "ship's time" if it were different....perhaps just for the convenience of the crew, not having to endure a 'short night'?:confused:

It's a double edged sword. If you make the passengers change their clocks/watches, someone will forget. If you stay on ship's time someone will not get it and rely on the clock on the wall somewhere in the port. And that's how you get pier runners!

That must be why the Captain gets to pick which problem they want to have?

On a related note...

I did an eastbound TA once and we set our clocks ahead 1 hour each day at noon for 5 (6?) days in a row. The first couple of days it was cool. Hey, 23 hour days, that's different! Then by the end your body clock goes in to "tilt" mode and you become a walking zombie for a couple days.

I heard that on westbound TA's they set the clocks back each night at 1 or 2 am and you get an extra hour of sleep (or partying if that's how you roll?). I'll have to try that next time.