What would your ideal cruise be????

cruzegirl

If you could custom design your own cruise and the cruise companies would listen to us/our ideas/designs, what would your ideal cruise be???? I'm taking 4 itineraries (no specific ship/company in mind) and creating my ideal cruise... I wish the cruise companies would listen... I think this would be great..... I know financially it's all about as many passengers/cruise they can do but still, this would be cool....I loved how on the Hawaiian itinerary they stayed overnight on Maui... I think there's something to that...

For instance on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary that has St. Thomas, St. Maarten & Princess Cays(or whichever private island) I'd like to see the ship overnight @ St. Thomas & St. Maarten. Yes it would extend the length of the cruise 1-2 days but that would be awesome to see the night life and not have to rush back to the ship by 5pm....

Or the Hawaiian cruise- I chose to look at the NCL itinerary because they have the main cruises in Hawaii and I just was on a cruise there.. There ports of call include-Hilo, Maui, Kona & Kauai.. I loved that they stayed overnight in Maui and Kauai....But I'd like to see an additional sea day in the beginning.... Even if it's scenic cruising... This cruise will wear you out as your like the ever-ready bunny....Just going & going & going....

Or what about the Western Caribbean? There ports of call are Cozumel, Grand Caymen and usually a private island... I would love to see the ship stay overnight at Cozumel and Grand Cayman... Again, between the night life, long excursions or if your a diver, night dives... It would be great to not have to rush back...

Alaska cruise-there ports of call are many but saw one with Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan... Would about staying overnight at one of these 2 ports???

Is anyone else interested in this kind of cruising?? Maybe I'm a lone soul in the overnight part....lol.... I love the sea days so don't want those to disappear but would like more time in each port.... Well a girl can dream can't she??? :p ;)

Mared1,

I agree...that sounds like a good way to San Juan....

TM3750,

I'm sure the reason the cruise lines don't do it is financial... I'm sure it's much easier for most cruisers to do a general 7 day cruise... And they lose money sitting in the port.... But I personally would love to see more of the ports of call by staying overnight but not having a 7 day land visit.... The night life is amazing in these places... Or so I hear....lol....I've yet to be there overnight.... I just like being able to do excursions as well without worrying about being late and rushing back to the ship... But not losing my sea days either.. They could be 10 day cruises doing this....I like that idea:p :D

My Ideal cruise wouldn't have to do with ports. you see, I have traveled to all the ports ships visited, and i have never cruised. I will be taking my maiden cruise in march.

So if i may, I would like to add what i would like for my "ideal" cruise.

My ideal cruise: A clean room, with a bed that a 6 foot tall person can sleep on comfortably, nice soft clean sheets.

To be able to sit in the sun, anywhere, soaking up the rays and not get to terribly sun burn.

To hear the laughter of children and parents who are bonding away from the pressures of the world, work, school, etc.

To be able to eat a meal with friends, whether they are new or old.

Of course i know that this is something that is in a "perfect world". There is no such thing as an "ideal cruise". I mean all you hear for the most part on this board is how horrid the food is, how horrid the shows may be. How horrid the ship stinks of smoke. How horrid the chair hogs are.

Some of you are going to be able to read through my sarcasm, and understand this moral of my "ideal Cruise". Those who won't, will definitely be heard.

My ideal cruise would be through the Med with overnights at all of my chosen ports so that I can evenings in the beautiful cities we visit.

There would be no tendering required.

There would be few announcements and no silly pool games.

There were be reserved deck chairs for all.

There would be a ton of free fitness classes and also free internet access.

And, yes, it would be adults only.

I have quite a few itineraries in mind (in my dreams!) Not in any particular order it would be:

A 10 day Med cruise, followed by an extra week in Italy (never been before, but this is my ideal, right?)

I've cruised and stayed on land in Hawaii several times, but would love to go back. My ideal cruise there would be a one way, overnights in Maui and Kauai, followed by a land stay of at least 4 more days in Oahu (we have frineds there) and 4 more days on Kauai (my fav).

A northbound Alaska cruise, a weeks stay in Alaska, followed by a southbound on a different cruise line.

An eastbound transatlantic, a week or two in England (note, not nec. London) followed by a west bound transatlantic.

My ideal Caribbean cruise would not be on a cruise line but a chartered yacht, with everyone (guests, not crew) hand picked by......me! I'd only take people who love to have fun, roll with the punches and enjoy good food and a few cocktails in the evening.

Now, where is that lottery ticket I bought the other day????

Oh how I love all the ideas.... Very good ones too.... I see one thing that we all seem to want, overnight at ports.. I wish the cruise line execs would heed or listen to this info.. lol.. So much more fun to see the night life and not have to rush back to the ship.. The Med. cruise idea.... Awesome.. I too would love to see enough chairs for by the pool... And not have to wait for one or steal one.... or argue with a chair hog for one.... And my main thing I'd love see improved, a larger shower in normal cabins... Whoever designs the ships must be very short and very little...lol...

1. We've so often said we wished they'd stay 2 days in certain ports where there's a lot to see.

2. Alternating one day in port/excursions then one day at sea so you have a chance for rest and relaxation between ports instead of 3-4 days straight of exhaustubg "hurry up and have fun" siteseeing.

3. An activities schedule that doesn't require your having to pick between several activities, all of which you want to do, but can only pick one because of conflicting schedules.

4. 5 star EVERYTHING!

5. Fewer "photo ops"

Carol B

That type of cruise does exist, but you have to go with a cruise line like Seabourn or Crystal to do it. I've done Med cruises with them where in many of the ports we stayed until midnight or for two full days, so we were able to enjoy places like Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Santorini and Venice in the evening. To be honest, I don't really understand wanting to stay longer in the islands of the Caribbean. They all begin to look alike after a while, and they've all become so very homogenized that they all look more like Miami or Ft Lauderdale. There's just not that much that interests me on any of the islands that warrants overnight stays. But when you're talking about the Med, Africa, South America or Asian ports, that's where you really need more time in each port. And that is solved with a cruise line like Crystal. They offer multi-day shore excursions where you leave the ship for three or more days, to explore the regions you're visiting. I did a three day overland tour in Cambodia, a two day tour in Vietnam, and a four day in India/Nepal that were fantastic.

Another suggestion is that if you really fall in love with a particular port where your cruise ship visits, you can always plan a land vacation on that island for a few days.

No children in the hot tubs, no infants screaming all night, no kids running around the diningroom, the corridors, the pool area, throwing food.

(I'm not saying no kids, just not acting as above)

No cellphones or walkie-talkies.

No liquor spilled on my bags and clothes because a bottle broke in someone elses suitcase.

At least 10 hours in every port of call.

A formal night where all the guys are in tuxes and the women in gowns.

Dave:eek:

Archived