Rash guards

penorment

First I would like to thank all the Hawaiian experts for all their advice. I have to admit I got most of it by lurking. But I have a specific question. I bought my 10 yr old son a rash guard in St John USVI last year because it was the best protection against sunburn while snorkeling. Of course, I can not find it now while I am packing. I put it away somewhere so I would not forget it but now I can not remember where; you know how that goes!!! Where would be a good place to get a replacement? It is just a close fitting t shirt but great to have while in the water. We start our vacation on Waikiki Beach and will have a car but would like to minimize our shopping time( I am the one who needs to buy diapers too)Thanks so much for your info.

We were just in Hawaii and I had to pick up rash gards for DH and DS as DS out grew his previous one. I asked at Hilo Hatties, and they directed me to the nearest surf store at the mall.

I would say that any surf shop would have them in Hawaii. I saw them everywhere on the beaches in Hawaii, especially on fair skinned children like mine.

Also, many surf schools include rash guards as party of their surfing lesson packages.

Since you have to go to Wal-Mart anyway for the diapers, Wal-Mart will likely carry the rash guards as well. Or the other option is to check out Ala Moana Shopping Center and look at Town and Country Surf (been around forever) since you'll be right next to it when you're at Wal-Mart. The Town and Country ones will probably be better quality than the ones you'll find at Wal-Mart but it may not make much of a difference given that you're probably not looking at keeping these long term anyways.

Spleen

If you want to be certain of having it before heading out (in our case we landed at about 2:00pm got to the hotel and DD and I were swimming on Wikiki beach by 3:00!). DD had outgrown/worn out hers over the summer - and since there isn't much demand for them in Green Bay WI in November, none of the stores carried much of a selection. I went on-line with Solartex Sun Gear (Glen Allen, VA) and got my order within three days. I also got my husband a shirt for snorkeling through a company called "Beach Trading" earlier - I ordered early one am and the UPS man brought it the next day!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I am on the floor with this one.. I am a literal person.. So, when I saw this I am thinking..how do you protect yourself from a rash.. I know... I know...Must not think literally..

So... tell me.. I figured it must be like a shirt.. Do you really need them.. I am fair skinned, blue eyed and blonde (in a bottle)???

paula

A rash gard is a shirt that protects your stomach from getting cut up by bits of sand and coral as you surf or boogie board.

Some people put their children in them because the kids like to roll around at the shore break...plus the shirts have a very high SPF...it protects their delicate skin.

I burn very quickly here in Hawaii. My legs arent usually a problem but my back and shoulders are very sensitive. If I didnt wear my shirt, I wouldnt be able to stay at the beach for very long. It also keeps me from losing my top in the waves. I love mine.

If you plan to do a lot of water activities, you might benefit from one. If youre planning on being diligent about sunscreen, not going between 10 and 2 or not staying long, you probably wont need one.

• 1 year later...

Archived