Kroschel wildlife or hike tour in Skagway?

JP-Cruise

I would just like to get some advice from people. I will be in Skagway this summer from 7am - 8:30pm

What do you think will be a much better value and will get more out of?

The Kroschel wildlife centre, or this white pass hike?

http://skagwayexcursion.com/skagway/white-pass-adventure/

I feel like this is such a tough decision because I love wildlife and at also have a passion for hiking and love the experience of hiking in the wilds of Alaska!

This decision is an example of why you must take multiple cruises to Alaska. Both are wonderful tours. Good luck with your decision!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Oh I totally agree! This is my second trip to Alaska. I went last summer and instantly fell in love. When you went to Kroschel did they allow anyone to hold any of the animals?

No, we did not get to hold the animals. The animals are wild animals, and trained only to respond to their handlers. On the other hand, I have not seen that tour offered in every cruise. Perhaps you should take it when it is offered, and take the other tour next time you go to Alaska.

No, we did not get to hold the animals. The animals are wild animals, and trained only to respond to their handlers. On the other hand, I have not seen that tour offered in every cruise. Perhaps you should take it when it is offered, and take the other tour next time you go to Alaska.

This is true. I emailed Steve and asked if I can get a pic holding one the birds and he said yes. But you just never know depending on the day right? What if I don’t get the opportunity even though he said yes. I feel like if I go there hoping this will happen and it doesn’t, I’ll be disappointed.

If that matters to you, it could be a deciding factor. Another important that is the tours are Polar Opposites in activity level. The wild life tour will have you taking the ferry to Haines and then the bus up into the wilderness. The hiking tour will require that you be in excellent physical condition and have experience with hiking in mountainous, icy areas. Which one makes you most comfortable?

If that matters to you, it could be a deciding factor. Another important that is the tours are Polar Opposites in activity level. The wild life tour will have you taking the ferry to Haines and then the bus up into the wilderness. The hiking tour will require that you be in excellent physical condition and have experience with hiking in mountainous, icy areas. Which one makes you most comfortable?

Absolutely, I am definitely in good physical condition, I did 3 glacier hikes last year in Alaska, one going through the caves of Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, one on a mountain in Alyeska, Girdwood. I loved that mountain one so much, just the scenery of the mountains was just spectacular, that’s why I found this hike, he link above and thought to my self I really have to experience something like this again. But one thing that’s stopping me

Is I’m going the extended helicopter glacier trek the next day in Juneau where I’ll be ice climbing during this excursion. It’s a 3 hour tour only. I’m sure I’ll have enough energy to do it, but there’s always that what if.. I’ll probably still have lots of energy because I’m on vacation and living in the moment lol

You have your work cut out for you in your decision making. Good luck!

That I do. With the Kroschel wildlife centre though, would you say it was more of a show they put on for people than interacting with the animals? Did they give you enough time to do you what you want? Like pet and feed them?

They are wild animals. You do not hold, pet or feed them. It is a guided tour of the wildlife center, with the handlers interacting with the animals.

That’s interesting, because I’ve watched dozens of video clips on YouTube of people petting a reindeer and Steve even telling people to give them a kiss, also of a young girl petting a porcupine. Perhaps you were on a different kind of tour?

That’s interesting, because I’ve watched dozens of video clips on YouTube of people petting a reindeer and Steve even telling people to give them a kiss, also of a young girl petting a porcupine. Perhaps you were on a different kind of tour?

There is a moose in an enclosure, and some people get to feed it carrots and have a photo op with it. It is not a relaxed, do what you want with the moose experience. I remember a porcupine, again a supervised, photo op experience. There could be some other opportunity to touch an animal, I don't know. If you go expecting to be able to stroll around on your own, you will be disappointed. We were on a tour booked through Princess. Does your tour description indicate a lot of petting opportunity? Also, know that from Skagway you take the ferry to Haines, then a long bus ride up through the eagle territory (where we saw maybe one eagle) to Kroschel Wildlife Center. After leaving the center, the same transport in reverse, but we got a snack this time. So although the tour is lengthy, a large portion of the tour is transportation. I did like the ferry, and enjoyed spotting whales along the way. But since you like active tours, being in a ferry and a bus could be boring for you.

Take a look at the Kroschel website, http://www.kroschelfilms.com/ Except for the pics with the moose and the porcupine, the other photos are the animals with their trainers, and especially with Steve Kroschel.

I am no expert on what you have found on YouTube videos, and can't tell you if they represent the experience you will have on a cruiseship tour. I am sorry I can't be of more help to you.

All I can say is that this was a tour that my daughter and I enjoyed, and that we had no expectation that we would be holding, feeding or hanging out with these wild animals. the tour met our expectations, and now a few year later it remains a happy memory of that particular cruise.

There is a moose in an enclosure, and some people get to feed it carrots and have a photo op with it. It is not a relaxed, do what you want with the moose experience. I remember a porcupine, again a supervised, photo op experience. There could be some other opportunity to touch an animal, I don't know. If you go expecting to be able to stroll around on your own, you will be disappointed. We were on a tour booked through Princess. Does your tour description indicate a lot of petting opportunity? Also, know that from Skagway you take the ferry to Haines, then a long bus ride up through the eagle territory (where we saw maybe one eagle) to Kroschel Wildlife Center. After leaving the center, the same transport in reverse, but we got a snack this time. So although the tour is lengthy, a large portion of the tour is transportation. I did like the ferry, and enjoyed spotting whales along the way. But since you like active tours, being in a ferry and a bus could be boring for you.

Take a look at the Kroschel website, http://www.kroschelfilms.com/ Except for the pics with the moose and the porcupine, the other photos are the animals with their trainers, and especially with Steve Kroschel.

I am no expert on what you have found on YouTube videos, and can't tell you if they represent the experience you will have on a cruiseship tour. I am sorry I can't be of more help to you.

All I can say is that this was a tour that my daughter and I enjoyed, and that we had no expectation that we would be holding, feeding or hanging out with these wild animals. the tour met our expectations, and now a few year later it remains a happy memory of that particular cruise.

Hi,

You have been extremely helpful with describing your experience and tour description. I am going with Princess as well I’ll be on the Golden Princess. I booked this tour online last November. I am aware of the travel time to get to the wildlife centre but that’s great to know there is a chance to spot whales during the ferry ride? Did you spot many whales? Do you remember?

Well I will definitely not be bored with the travelling part because I never get tired of Alaska’s breathtaking scenery. Last summer when I was on the Norwegian Alaska cruise I spent so much time outside just because I couldn’t get enough of the scenery! :)

Also last summer I met this woman in her 80’s who said this is her 6th time in Alaska. I completely understand why. Especially when it’s so hard to decide between tours!

I’m leaning toward the wildlife centre though because it’s guaranteed you’ll see animals and it’s not everyday that you get to see rare animals like a reindeer, a lynx or a wolverine (which are becoming extinct :(