Itinerary just changed to Calica...what to do for adult couple?

My husband and I are planning our first vacation together ALL ALONE, after almost 12 years of marriage. We have four wonderful boys that we are elated to be leaving behind with Grandma.:D

We just found out that our ship will be stopping in Calica instead of Cozumel. We will be in port from 12:00-8:00. What are your suggestions? We are not divers, so diving is out. We were looking at Xcaret as a possibility, but we don't want to miss out on something that is a "must see" or "must do" in Calica. We would like to do some relaxing on the beach in hammocks or at an exotic bar with exotic beverages at some point and don't want to feel like we need to rush to get in an excursion and then make it back to the ship in time.

Any suggestions? The zip lines looked a bit interesting as well. Decisions...decisions...

You can't do better than XCARET. A wonderful 'nature' park, if it is open after the Hurricane. I heard that it would be open before Xmas. There are amazing underground rivers you can snorkle to use your time. The evening show was the most beautiful 'Mexican' show I have ever seen, but make sure before you go that you can make it back to your ship. That show alone is worth the price of admission.

I posted this in the above thread...

My husband and I have vacationed in this area numerous times and there is much to see and do. Xel-Ha and Xcaret are natural water parks that are a short cab ride from Calica. I wouldn't book through Carnival, just have the driver take you there. There is also a wonderful little town called Akumal that has a fabulous beach with outstanding snorkeling. We have seen sea turtles, baracudas, SPANISH CANONS, and just about every color of tropical fish you can see. There is a dive shop right there on the beach to rent snorkel gear. There is also a wonderful restaurant right on the beach. When we docked in Calica several years ago, we hired a driver who towed us around in a brand new 10 passenger van for 150.00. He took us to Tulum, then to Akumal, back to the ship to change, then on to Playa Del Carmen where we stayed until 10:00pm. He waited for us the entire time (about 10 hours). We also tipped him generously. The company we used was Executive Rental and were right at the pier. You might also consider a day pass to one of the all-inclusive resorts. The Palladium, which we've stayed at twice, offers day passes for 50.00. It is a beautiful resort with a huge pool and an outstanding beach. I wish we were going to Calica instead of Progresso!!

Archived