Unexpected NCL Charges for Travel Insurance

insighttoronto

You need to read your policy. Call whoever you bought it from and ask them for a link (or to snail mail you) the documentation about what is and isn't covered, and pay special attention to "pre-existing conditions". AFTER you have read it, papers in hand, call the insurance company and ask them about your specific situation and your questions, and be prepared to refer back to the printout. Remember that what's in writing is what matters. If a rep contradicts what's written in the policy, the rep is wrong and what's written is right.

Every policy is different. Don't assume that just because my policy covers something, yours will also cover it.

You should definitely share the info about what happened on that past cruise and ask the rep what coverage you have for something so tragic. Ask about medivac and also what YOU have to do to be sure you ARE covered. They may require you to call a specific # and get authorization, for example. Assume zero except when you need them to pay (and I hope you won't) you will have to do things their way or they may be able to not pay, or at least give you a hard time.

Having said the above, I had to use my trip insurance a few years ago. My hip went bad between the time I booked a cruise and a year later, cruise date. I thought I could stretch it until after the cruise but it was really bad and doctor told me I needed a hip replacement asap AFTER final payment date. We had laid out over $6k for the cruise, etc. and the trip insurance did pay. I had to provide a doctor's statement, a letter from the travel agency showing I had cancelled and what the cancellation fee was (100% of the cruise fare), a letter from the hotel, etc, etc - but they paid.

Thank you. As we are new to cruising, I bought it via NCL.

Thank you. As we are new to cruising, I bought it via NCL.

Call NCL and ask for a copy of your policy AND contact info for someone who can answer your very specific questions. Don't assume it is good (or bad) just because of where you bought it. You are spending a lot of $$ for the policy and you are safeguarding much more $$ so MAKE SURE. Your PCC can't tell you for sure about anything, only the written policy can.

Yes, they just automatically added it to my booking a couple weeks ago. My PCC hasn't responded to my emails to remove it and now I'm pissed.

As you should be! Call the NCL number and ask for the insurance to be immediately removed.

My PCC has always responded promptly and this that is what I expect.