Who was on the Anthem 2/6/16 super bowl/hurricane cruise -any memories?

My daughter and I were on her, my first Anthem cruise actually (been back three times since). I have a couple memories from that cruise. We never lost the Super Bowl feed in our cabins. While I was "nervous", I never felt unsafe. The worst part was hearing the concern in Capt Anderson's voice and thereafter having Abe make the announcements. It was interesting to watch people's reactions and how they changed from Monday morning (sort of a zombie vibe), Tuesday (yay! We survived let's party), Wednesday (cranky, just let me off this friggin' boat already). Anyone else?

You can read through old threads about the sailing, like this one: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2314558&page=10&highlight=feb+6+anthem

Thanks Biker19, somehow I missed this at the time but just read through. Very accurate accounting.

I was wondering, two years later, what others remember now. The Super Bowl brings it up for us since it was Super Bowl Sunday that we hit the storm.

Just for the record, after all that happened, we had a good time, met great people and were pleased with how the crew, staff and RCCL treated us throughout. And we love Anthem. She's been stress tested!

We were on that cruise. We were never worried...more like concerned. I remember watching the weather display on the TV, and marveling at the wind speeds. I only got really concerned when I saw the winds hitting us from the side...I knew the captain was really struggling to keep the bow pointed into the waves.

Mostly we watched TV, and occasionally tried to figure out on the TV monitor what all the junk was that blew into the swimming pool (turned out to be one of the big white radomes that imploded). And none of us got seasick at all - if we survived that, we will NEVER get seasick.

I certainly felt bad for Abe - he was clearly in a very tough, and unique spot for a cruise director. And that was our first Royal cruise...great introduction...haha. But we came back for a few more (much more relaxing too).

Yes, and one of the reasons we continue to sail on Anthem. She has been tested. Was just on the 1/7/18 sailing and at Capt's Corner, the Chief Engineer, whose name escapes me, said in all his 30 years of sailing, that was his worst night.

All the things I posted are coming up on my time hop. After all was said and done, my daughter and I had a great time. We made the best of it.

Edited by Greenmomma
spelling counts

I'd sail Anthem again...but only certain times of year. My family is a bit of the opinion that the ship is cursed...but for the right deal, we'd probably do it again.

I think I am increasingly of the opinion that sailing from Northern ports in the winter is just asking for trouble. Of course, we've had some rough rides sailing during hurricane season too...but Captains SHOULD be able to avoid the worst of those storms fairly easily, because (in theory) they have a whole lot more warning.