Need Advice on Taking Laptop

CecilCtyCruiser

I took my laptop on our Rotterdam to Boston in August on the Maasdam. Used it to upload digital pictures to CruiseCritic and to get and send email. Left it out on the desk at all times. We were in stateroom 204, just above the library and internet center. It was very convenient to go to the library and wirelessly connect to the internet. At times the internet was very, very slow, and as you know, the internet charges are high.

any time I've taken my Laptop always left it out.. also have a couple of our digital cameras ... binoculars.. handheld GPS left out at times..even trust them around my fly fishing gear:)...

we've been on 25 HAL cruises ..have never at any time had an issue or problem with anything missing... the crew is the best... and we tip them gladly for a job well done:D

Thanks so much for your helpful information.

This past January I used the Internet Center but felt rushed.

Now that I have a new laptop and wi-fi, I'm going to follow others' leads and bring mine, and have a slide show and smooth jazz running, when we aren't watching it in person.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

I take a laptop because I always take lots of pictures and like downloading and reviewing them to see how they are coming out. It gives me peace of mind knowing I have a second set (backup) without having to depend on or paying for expensive ship service to download from my media to a CD.

I got myself an inexpensive, small (12" screen) 650 mhz laptop with a 12 gig drive as my traveler. I do not worry about it getting stolen and losing all my personal home and business data.

In the cabin, it is small enough to put in a drawer in the desk, so it is out of sight and out of the way except when I am using it. For Email and web access (just to say hi and we are well) I just use the ship computer lab.

We always take our laptop but not for communicating. We download our photos each evening and start over the next day

THEN

we know what was where, etc. After a few days, we can't remember which port was which, and, since the day's photos are labeled.......that problem is solved!

We also always leave it on the desk and have never had a problem of any kind.............

money, jewelry, etc. seem to always be untouched as well.;)

• 1 month later...

Archived