Bus drop off for Florence.

LM63

Hi all,

My husband & I are booked on a Princess Med cruise for later in the year & we are considering booking the Florence on your own excursion from Livorno.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea where the bus normally drops off & picks up passengers or if anyone knows how we can find out?

It would be really helpful with planning our day.

Cheers

LM

In 2014 the buses parked outside the main area and we were "walked" into the Piazza di Santa Croce in front of the church of Santa Croce. That was the pick-up point for the return walk back to the buses. As I remember the walk is not that long, maybe 10-15 minutes, but it is only as fast as the slowest person. We had places we wanted to go and were faster walkers so we asked the guide the time and place to meet (we had a map and found the piazza on it) for the return and broke away from the group. Returned to the piazza ahead of time and toured the church. Do your "homework" and plan what you want to see. If you are going to the Accademia or the Uffizi Gallery pre-book your tickets and times so you don't have to stand in line.

Hope this helps.

<<<Karen>>>

I believe I wrote about our experience with Princess tours to Florence/and or Pisa when you asked the question on the Italian Ports board. See that you have decided to just go to Florence, good choice. Here's what we did on our day in Florence from our trip log:

Today we did a Princess tour –Florence on Your Own. The bus dropped us off a third of a mile from Santa Croce church. The woman leading the tour attempted to walk the 40 people as a group to the church. We told her that we would meet her at the appointed time and place, and started off on our own. We walked past the Duomo to the Museum of San Marco, an old monastery with several frescoes by Fra Angelico. The museum was peaceful and uncrowded. We took several pictures and enjoyed the artwork. Next we went to the Medici Chapel to see the famous sculptures by Michelangelo. When we first entered the chapel we did not see the statues and feared they had been removed for restoration. We asked a docent who told us they were in the next room. Afterward we made our way to the Baptistry in front of the Duomo. At first we could not find where to purchase tickets to enter but were finally pointed in the right direction. The Baptistry was not very crowded and we took our time admiring the mosaics on the ceiling. Then we went through the Duomo. The interior was much plainer than we remembered so we did not stay long. We stopped at a street restaurant for lunch –sandwiches and water. We walked to the Piazza della Signoria to see the copy of Michelangelo’s David. We walked along the Uffizi Gallery to the river for a glimpse of the Ponte Vecchio. Then we made our way back to Santa Croce and explored the interior of this magnificent old church. Karen did some shopping and we met up with our tour group for the return trip to Regal Princess. :D:D

Our friends who went to Pisa first didn't see half the places we did in Florence. We had been to the Uffizi before and for them it was worth seeing but they had to hurry through it.

<<<Karen>>>

My daughter & I want to do this in Oct. She is good at navigating her way through new cities. Do you remember how much time you had in Florence after leaving the bus?

I think we had about 5 hours but can't remember for sure. Check the info provided for the excursion and that should give you an idea of time.

<<<Karen>>>

The only other point--we were walked to a business right by the church. The tour company had an agreement with this business that we were free to use their restrooms throughout the day. Our meeting point was actually right in front of the business, but that was literally next to the church.

The only other point--we were walked to a business right by the church. The tour company had an agreement with this business that we were free to use their restrooms throughout the day. Our meeting point was actually right in front of the business' date=' but that was literally next to the church.[/quote']

Yes, it's a jewelry store and I bought a nice cameo ring.

<<<Karen>>> :Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Hi Karen,

Yes it was me you replied to in the Italian Ports board, so thanks once again :)

I have been having a long hard think all week.

We would love to see the tower in Pisa as it is so close to Livorno & such an iconic site but I have to say after much research I am leaning (pardon the pun) towards just doing Florence as there is so much to see there. I feel we would be too rushed if we included it.

Do you happen to remember how long the trip was & what time you arrived in Florence? In the excursion info it says the tour starts at 8.15 so I'm hoping we will be there by 10am. With the long travel eating into our time I'd like to hit the ground running when we get there so I will probably do as you did & find out the meeting time/place so we can forge ahead of the pack.

Hi moki'smommy,

Thanks for the additional information.

LM

The bus drive was about 90 minutes each way. Our departure back to the ship was delayed because ONE member of our group was over an hour late at the meeting point. The guide contacted her company several times about what to do, but since we were the last bus leaving Florence, they kept telling her to wait a few more minutes.... We were encouraging her to let us leave after an hour! His wife was NOT pleased when we finally showed up. I don't remember what time we got there...maybe about 10, and departure time was about 3 (scheduled.) We had lunch at an AMAZING pizza place, 1 block off the "beaten path." There were many workmen, etc. eating there. Pizza was like 1 Euro per slice and was amazingly delicious. Sorry, I can't really tell you where it was. We crossed a bridge and went one block to the left. Not sure what bridge.

Florence is an easy city to navigate. You'll need advance tickets for the David or other huge attractions, but there are lots of places to see without these tickets. Since we'd both been in Florence before, the main attractions weren't on our list.

I agree with moki'smommy, we got there about 10am and left around 3-4pm. Read up on Florence and plan what you want to see. You can't see it all so pick what interests you most. Even just wandering around can be fun. Here are two links to Rick Steves videos that you can watch online: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/tv-show/florence-heart-of-the-renaissance and https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/tv-show/florentine-delights-and-tuscan-side-trips These might give you some ideas.

<<<Karen>>>

Thanks ep1987 I'll check it out.

We are thinking of playing it safe with a Princess excursion in this port as our next port is a long way away.... in the Greek Islands, however it won't hurt to compare.

Thanks for the Rick Steve's links Karen will definitely have a look. I've got 2 threads going on this, as you know, & I've posted in the other one about the things we are interested in. These links will definitely be useful though.

10 - 4 would be a decent amount of time for us to see what we want to see, any less & we will have to make some adjustments.

Will book tickets online for main attractions.

Wow moki'smommy it's a wonder they waited that long for the late passenger. I'd be worried if we were 5 mins late.

LM

lm63 are you departing Oct. 23? We're on that cruise.

moki'smommy was the late comer one person or a couple? I would have been so angry. How rude. Did he/she/they have an explanation for being an hour late? Were they booed by their fellow passengers? That scenario is the reason I have never signed up with a private group of cruisers for an excursion of that length. Since you were on a Princess excursion the ship had to wait for you. If you had been in a privately hired van and one of the group was that late, the ship could have departed without you. That is the stuff of nightmares.

Hi 1965,

We are departing on an earlier cruise October 2.

This is our plan for Florence.....so far ;) (from my post in the Italian ports board)

Start time approx 10 am

From Santa Croce walk to Piazza Del Duomo (google says 10 mins I'll say 15 to admire sites along the way)

Spend an hour at the Baptistery & Cathedral (not climbing Dome, so should we pre book tickets to save time?)

Walk to Accademia Gallery (another 10 mins, pre book tickets to avoid line, stay approx 1 hour)

Stroll down to Piazza della Signoria (1 hour to walk down, browse around & have a coffee)

By now it's about 1.30 pm

Uffizi Gallery (pre book tickets spend a couple of hours there)

Walk up to Ponte vecchio (browse shops if time permits)

Walk along river back to Santa Croce Basilica (meet at designated area)

Snooze on bus back to ship because we are exhausted :D:D :D

Feel free to chime in with thoughts on this itinerary of our day especially those that have done a Florence excursion.

moki'smommy I bet you weren't happy at all. Pity the tour guide didn't just let the 44 tired people go back to the air conditioned bus instead of waiting in the hot sun.

LM

Edited by LM63

Your plan will work....consider tossing a couple of protein bars or other similar into your stuff. You don't want to waste your limited time sitting at a cafe for something to eat, but you might get hungry. Also, take along a water.

The only thing I don't like about your schedule is that it doesn't allow any time for that cute little private museum or art gallery along the way, or whatever catches your eye. It does put as much as reasonably possible into the day.

THere seem to be a couple different types of advance tickets. We saw lines for people who had tickets (possibly they were there before their time), and people with advance tickets who walked right past them and into the locations. There was a different line for people without advance tickets. There were also plenty of fun places that we did without advance tickets on our last trip.

The idiot who didn't show up for the bus...there are just no words. He was part of a 4 person group and the other three were on time and waiting. His wife was in tears and somewhat hysterical when the rest of the group was pushing the tour guide to just leave him. We did ask about going to the bus. The explanation was that the bus parks at a remote location and comes to the pick up spot only when the guide calls the driver. He wouldn't be allowed to return to the parking after he came to the pick up spot. So we all waited. Yes, it was one person, and since he ended up being about an hour and 15 minutes late, he would have been late even if he had a time change mix up. When he showed up, the wife went into all huggy and relief mode. The rest of us just glared and we headed to the bus. While we had a big travelogue on the way to Florence, there was one site pointed out on the way home and one announcement that we were about 20 minutes from the port. I don't remember a lot of talking or anything--we were all pretty wiped out. What can you do or say to or about such an idiot? It obviously wasn't a medical situation or anything. It did make me wonder if it would be a good idea for the guide to hand out her name and cell number. What if something happened? At least people would have a way to get in touch with her.

I guess I could almost forgive someone being a few minutes short of an hour late....that could be a time change mix up.

We were NOT the last excursion getting back to the ship. We were the last bus leaving Florence because we were the "Florence on your own" tour. There were buses that left before us but were making another stop on the way back to the ship--at least some were going to Pisa. Their scheduled arrival back at the ship was later than ours due to the second stop. SO he didn't hold up the ship.

It was just one of the most irritating, thoughtless things I've ever been thru.

Lm63 your schedule sounds remarkably like the plan our daughter has suggested to me. I'll be sure to share moki'smommy's suggestions with her. I'm so excited to be introducing her to Princess. I think she's going to love it.

Hey moki'smommy,

You could probably cut someone a bit of slack if they were genuinely lost & distressed by the ordeal but if it was due to just being lax or plain selfish then that's a different story. If it were my husband & the latter was the case I don't think I'd be all huggy......I'd be ropeable :mad:

As for our plan, glad you think it's doable.

"The only thing I don't like about your schedule is that it doesn't allow any time for that cute little private museum or art gallery along the way, or whatever catches your eye."

I know this was my worry also, not sure where I can cut time though. I was hoping the 1 hour stroll from the Accademia to Piazza della Signiori would allow us some time to stop & look along the way IF we saw something that interests us as google says it's only a 10 - 15 min walk. I'm also tossing up whether to go into the Duomo or just have a look from outside, I've read that it is much more spectacular from the outside than it is inside. I'm thinking it might pale in comparison to Sagrada Familia & Monsterrat which we plan to visit when in Barcelona prior to our cruise. Also our walking tour in Aix includes a church so no doubt we'll probably spend some time in there too, we might of just about had our fill of churches by then.

"consider tossing a couple of protein bars or other similar into your stuff. You don't want to waste your limited time sitting at a cafe for something to eat, but you might get hungry. Also, take along a water."

Gotcha ;)

Actually I'm pretty use to carrying around food in my bag as I'm a coeliac or celiac (depending where you're from) so I always have some sort of gluten free foods for times when there's nothing I can eat. I would loveeee to have an Italian coffee though & just sit for 10 mins to soak up the atmosphere, oh & I MUST have a gelato but I can eat that as we go ;)

LM

I'm not suggesting that you skip a 10 minute break for coffee...but you don't want to spend an hour on nutrition.

I spent a week in Florence many years ago. On that trip, the spontaneous parts were some of the most enjoyable. On the other hand, I had time for those unscheduled things.

A cruise ship stop isn't time to really "see" a city. You barely get a taste. But it is what it is and you schedule your time as best as you can. On our "Florence on your own" we stumbled upon a lovely museum in what had been the home of one of the Doges. Admission was free other than to a special exhibit, and somehow we were admitted to that also. It made for a great hour or so.

I'm not suggesting that you skip a 10 minute break for coffee...but you don't want to spend an hour on nutrition.

Absolutely.

You know I've wrestled with whether to just wing it & stroll around the city enjoying what ever we came across as opposed to having a planned itinerary. On the one hand we've often enjoyed just roaming around cities, checking out the sites, getting a feel for it. Then on the other hand I've read so much about the wonderful museums & art works in Florence that it seems a shame to not see them when we are there, I don't know if we will ever be back here again as it's a longgg way from Australia & there are sooo many places in the world we are yet to see with so little time. It's definitely a dilemma when visiting cities that deserve much more time than a day excursion.

Btw how did you find the walk from the bus to the meeting point was it a lovely walk, much to see along the way?

LM

Not really anything to see from the bus stop to the square. There were a few shops and things along the way. It was not a long walk at all; saying 10 minutes is generous. But of course there was the time to get everyone off the bus and then the "regrouping" at the shop to get our return instructions...and then probably half of us descended on the restrooms before we took off to see the city. Our guide gave us VERY careful instructions as to where to meet and how to find the square essentially from anywhere in the city--"if you get lost, ask directions to Santa Croce. This is normally the main entrance to the church, but it is closed now for the construction, so if you are looking at the construction, we are meeting to the left. If you ask people where the shop is, they may not know, but if you ask for the church, anyone can direct you here." She also gave us some basic instructions as to which way to head for the main attractions. I could be remembering wrong, but I really think we were truly walking less than 5 minutes from the bus drop off to the shop. The rest of the time was unloading and instructions.

The initial part of the walk was rather rural--under some trees, shady, rather like a park. Then a small street of shops, and finally the square with bigger shops along the sides and the church in the center.

Ok thanks.

I can imagine, as you say, when with a larger group waiting for people to get organised probably takes up more time than actually getting to were your going. The rural part of the walk sounds nice though.

I'm sure you know this already, but you really want good walking shoes. This isn't the place for your pretty shoes or heels of any sort. Some of the main areas are paved concrete, but other roads and particularly any smaller ones will be cobblestone. Bottom line--wear your tennies (or trainers or whatever they are called in your part of the world).