Panama Hats in Progreso or Cozumel

4yanx

Can anyone recommend a place to buy a Panama hat in either port? I'm talking the real deal here and expect to pay accordingly (not a cheap knock-off from a street vendor or shady dealer). Looking for the best deal possible, though, of course! :-) Thanks

You will find excellent quality Panama hats in the city market in Merida. Up to about $80. Very fine fiber and tightly woven in caves for the humidity. Merida is a 30 minute bus ride from Progreso. You can also find them in some better shops in Merida. Merida is a great city. Just back from a two week land trip. On Cozumel, I would expect more of the tourists variety hats.

Thanks, H. This figures. We will be taking a tour out of Progreso to Uxmal and will not have time to visit Merida, though it sounds as though we will have about an hour in Progreso before reboarding the ship. So, it is either Progreso of Cozumel for me. I was a bit afraid of being stuck with touristy stuff in Coz unless someone comes up with a specific suggestion. Anyone?!

You can get either a nice or a functional panama hat in Progreso. I got one several years ago and it (the hat) has been back to Progresso with me twice since. Do you remember seeing the shrimp cocktail photo in my review of the Elation? The hat is also on the table. I do change the hat band depending on if I want to be touristy or more local.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=258340

You can get either a nice or a functional panama hat in Progreso. I got one several years ago and it (the hat) has been back to Progresso with me twice since. Do you remember seeing the shrimp cocktail photo in my review of the Elation? The hat is also on the table. I do change the hat band depending on if I want to be touristy or more local.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=258340

I am but 1 of 4! :-)

I will take a look around and inquire while we are in Progreso. I want to get a goodun, not just a functional. They's expensive around here!

Archived