Cell phone plan

Has anyone used the AT&T International Day Pass for a Med cruise? I'm looking at using this on my cruise next month. For $10 a day I use my normal plan to make calls and for any data used. Am I better off with this plan or getting a new SIM card for my trip?

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the length of your stay and where you’re going. If it is less than a week and/or multiple countries, you’re probably better off using AT&T’s plan. I’ve used it the last several trips and it’s just easy. Works great through out the Med and works on 24 hour periods.

If you’re going to be in one spot for an extended stay, 2 weeks or more in Spain for example, then you are better off getting a local SIM card. NOTE YOUR PHONE MUST BE UNLOCKED. ALSO note there are new roaming rules for the EU so you likely will be able to use the same SIM in different countries.

Another option I used in the past was Knowroaming. Check it out. It’s worth considering.

But for me I just now use AT&T International Day Pass works great, especially for work.

Cheers

Tom

I would recommend Spanish local SIMs for longer periods, way better value than $10 a day. As of June 2017 voice and data roaming in EU is free. No issues with bigger companies like Vodafone, Orange or Movistar (Tuenti). Registration in person requires passport but very quick. In Barcelona both Vodafone and Orange have stores on Plaza Catalynia.

Calls to phones in North America can be free if placed using Google Hangouts. Receiving calls is always free. I use What's App for calling, sound is quite good.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk