Cingular in Cozumel?

I was recently in Calica and although I had a great signal, I could not get out on my cell. The code I got seemed like the local tower would not allow me get on their tower. I tried 011 & 001 plus area code and number to the US as I was told to do at the pursers desk. Neither of them worked.:mad: (I did receive incoming calls).

I will be cruising again to Cozumel and would like to know the proper procedure is for calling home.

A really good samaritan allowed me to use his Cingular phone to call my DS but he had an International calling plan. He told me to talk as long as I wanted but I was so grateful(SP) just to speak for just one minute.(The smallest things that mean nothing to some people can mean the world to another, be good to your fellow man)

1)Do I have to call Cingular and change my plan or tell them I will be in Mexico?

2) What is the proper code from Mexico to USA? (001 or 011)

3) What are the roaming rates from Mexico to the USA?

Please help, I can't stand to be out of touch although most of you are happy to turn your cell phones off.

You folks are great!!!

I also have Cingular, but Mexico will not allow cell phone calls without a type of International Plan. I can use my Cingular in San Juan, PR, and in St. Thomas, because they are U.S. territories. Your best bet would be to get a TelMex phone card to make calls from Mexico. You could also contact Cingular and ask about a short-term International Plan. $$$$$$$$$$$:)

We have always been able to get service - but pre hurricane season this year. I would guess that some of their towers may not have been rebuilt yet possibly.

As far as the charges I don;t remember, just that for a long time years ago we were never charged, got "spoiled" to that and then wham - one cruise we had like a $100 bill on charges we'd made. We have limited all our calls since then, but rates have been reasonable - just not sure of the exact cost.

I also have Cingular, but Mexico will not allow cell phone calls without a type of International Plan. I can use my Cingular in San Juan, PR, and in St. Thomas, because they are U.S. territories. Your best bet would be to get a TelMex phone card to make calls from Mexico. You could also contact Cingular and ask about a short-term International Plan. $$$$$$$$$$$:)

Actually, I have Cingular and just got off the phone with them as well. While I don't have an international plan, I can make calls internationally at the roaming rate. An internation plan at $4.99 a month cuts the call cost significantly, but is not worth it in my opinion. For Mexico, it's 20 cents a minute with the international plan, and 79 cents a minute for the roaming plan. However, you do have to call customer service (611 from your cell) to allow international roaming. And since all plans are a bit different, confirm your rates with them when you call.

Here's a listing of international destinations with Cingular's roaming rates. As long as your phone is authorized to make international calls, these are the rates which you should be charged unless you've purchased an international plan, in which case, your per minute rate will be less. Cruise ship roaming will be available on Freedom of the Seas. I'm not sure about other RCCL vessels...hope this helps:

Standard Voice Rate Per Minute

(Read about Cingular Data) Countries Available

Cruise Ship Roaming is Now Availablefooter$.79/minCanada* $.99/minMexico* $1.29/minAustria*, Belgium, Denmark*, Finland*, France*, Germany*, Greece, Guernsey*, Hungary*, Iceland, Ireland*, Isle Of Man*, Italy*, Jersey, Luxembourg, Monaco*, Netherlands*, Norway*, San Marino*, Spain*, Sweden*, Switzerland*, United Kingdom*, Vatican City (Holy See)* $1.69/minAustralia*, Greenland $1.99/minAnguilla*, Aruba*, Barbados*, Bermuda*, Cayman Islands*, Croatia, Cruise Ships*, Curacao (Netherlands Antilles)*, Dominica*, Dominican Republic*, El Salvador*, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Grenada*, Guam*, Island Escape*, Jamaica*, Liechtenstein, Macao (Macau), Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles (Curacao & St. Maarten)*, Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan)*, Portugal*, Saint Kitts and Nevis*, Saint Lucia*, Saint Vincent and The Grenadines*, Slovakia, St. Maarten(Netherlands Antilles)*, Taiwan*, Thailand*, Trinidad and Tobago*, Turks and Caicos* $2.29/minAntigua and Barbuda*, Argentina*, Bahamas*, Bangladesh, Bolivia*, Brazil*, Bulgaria, China*, Colombia*, Costa Rica*, Czech Republic*, Ecuador*, French Polynesia (Tahiti), Guatemala*, Guyana, Honduras*, Hong Kong*, Japan*, Korea, South, Latvia, Macedonia, Malaysia*, Malta, New Zealand*, Nicaragua*, Panama*, Paraguay*, Philippines*, Poland*, Singapore*, Slovenia, Turkey*, Uruguay*, Venezuela* $2.49/minAlgeria, Bahrain, Congo, Democratic Republic Of The (Zaire), Cyprus, Egypt*, French Guiana*, Gambia, Ghana, Guadeloupe*, India*, Iraq, Israel*, Jordan, Kuwait*, Libya, Lebanon, Martinique*, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Oman, Pakistan*, Palestinian Authority, Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia*, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa*, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates* $3.49/minArmenia, Belize*, Bosnia and Herzegovina, British Virgin Islands*, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chile*, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Ivory Coast, Laos, Lithuania, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Moldova, Niger, Nigeria, Peru*, Reunion, Romania, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Uganda, Ukraine, Yemen, Zambia $3.99/minAfghanistan, Albania, Indonesia*, Kenya, Serbia and Montenegro (Formerly Yugoslavia), Sri Lanka $4.99/minAzerbaijan, Belarus, Benin, Bhutan, Gabon, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Mali, Mongolia, Russia*, Tanzania, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam*, Zimbabwe

Here's a listing of international destinations with Cingular's roaming rates.

The price must vary by region within the United States as I pay 79 cents per minute in Mexico, not $1.29

I was quoted $1.99 a minute in Grand Cayman by customer service at Cingular.

I think if you have GSM there is no roaming charge. We just got off the southeren caribbean and we noticed that some islands had Cingular and some did not. One of the thing I like the most about crusing is that I can turn my cell phone off and get away from it all. If my cell phone is on, everytime we are at port my boss would be calling me and asking me to help with tech support. :D

Archived