Any Good Princess Excursions: Mexican Riviera

many cruises

We are going on the Sapphire in April to the Mexican Riviera. Does anyone have recommendations for Princess excursions there? We tried to get Mazatlan Frank, but unfortunately he is booked for the day we will be in Mazatlan. We would appreciate any help you can give us.

:):):)

I'm going to plug an excursion that I think is wonderful and worth it. However, it's an expensive one - so it was the only excursion I did on my recent Sapphire trip. It's especially good if you have been to PV before and really would like to get a good taste of rural Mexico.

I took the tour to the 500 year old silver mining village of San Sebastian. It includes a beautiful but brief flight into the Sierra Madre Mountains. You see an old and well preserved hacienda/estate where silver refining took place. You also tour a small family run coffee farm/roasting facility. Then you see the center of the town itself. Once there, you listen to a wonderful 80+ year old resident talk about the heyday of San Sebastian. A little local tequila, a fantastic lunch in a beautiful little restaurant, and then the flight home in time for lying by the pool before the rest of the crowds return.

The guides are fantastic (we had Martin), the food is excellent and safe. They take really great care of you, and there are only 8-10 people in the group. It's not a cattle stampede, there are no vendors, and the guides make sure you have plenty of filtered water. The only advice I have, is wear mosquito repellant. The short walk to the hacienda is through a forrested area and we were just about eaten alive my mosquitos. Elsewhere, there was no sign of them.

As always, my favorite parts of Mexico are away from the beaches and tourist areas. This excursion supplies all of that and a huge dose of Mexican history. What else could a teacher ask for?

We enjoyed Hideaway at Las Caletas in Puerto Vallarta enough to go twice during two separate cruises. It was a little pricey ($80 pp), but we felt it was well worth it. Las Caletas is a secluded beach, accessible only by boat and all inclusive. The hosts were very personable, the transfer boat was clean and ship shape and everything at the beach was in good repair. We enjoyed the food and all the activities we participated in.

Archived