Barcelona - do stores & restaurants close in the afternoon?

We will be in Barcelona the end of September on a Saturday and are wondering if the stores and restaurants are closed in the afternoon. Especially near La Rambla, Port Vell and the Eixample district.

We don't have our air reservations yet and are hoping to not arrive at the wrong time if things are closed.

Don't know where you got that idea.

closed?, LOL!.... for crying out loud, Saturday is the worst day for shopping... flocks of shoppers everywhere. :)

Ha ha! Well, I guess we don't have to worry about arriving at the wrong time. Thanks!

Actually, depending on where you come from (-az = Arizona??? and if so, Phoenix? Tucson?) you might find Saturday afternoon in the centre of the city far too busy. Also notice that "life" goes on until the wee hours, shops close between 8:30 and 9, then shopping malls and dept stores between 9 and 10, restaurants start getting busy from 9ish onward until midnight, then lots of people go strolling, or to have a drink in a terrace, or a pub, or a bar.... later nightclubs start getting crowded (past midnight) and you'll find people around until 2-3am. Then it starts clearing up but you still won't be alone, there are people here and there until 4-5am. And yet, this is not a "summer resort"! NYers and New Orleanianers will indeed understand me.

Yes, AZ does indeed stand for Arizona, where we used to live. But we're now living about 10 minutes from Portland, Oregon, which is where we'll be flying from.

All this nightlife in the wee hours is beginning to make me tired, ha ha. I'm planning on getting my second wind when we arrive but I think we'll be doing most of our shopping, eating and drinking way earlier.

So when you say that the restaurants start getting busy around 9pm, it sounds like there will be fewer people (at least in restaurants and bars) earlier?

... ah ok, peaceful city, then you're definitively not used to a Sat afternoon in Barcelona

... yep, but many restaurants' kitchens won't be open earlier. There are 15000+ eateries in that part of town so you'll always find somewhere to grab a bite at any time, but you also might find "that" restaurant you wanted it's not opening its kitchen until later (8.30-9)

Well, we're talking to the whole Old City (neighbourhoods of El Gòtic, Santa Caterina, Sant Pere, La Ribera, El Raval and La Barceloneta) and also some neighbourhoods in l'Eixample, but you can also find quite busy other parts of the city, like Gràcia, Poble Sec, Poble Nou....

Map of neighbourhoods: https://monbarcino.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/barris_bcn.jpg