Sweet Sixteen on Sovereign

eileen226

We are celebrating my daughter's sweet sixteen with three of her friends and my husband and I. We have two junior suites (a surprise, they think we have three inside cabins) We are staying in cocoa beach the night before we set sail on 4/17. Question, what can I do, and who do I speak to, about having a special celebration for her birthday one night in the dining room(probably, formal night). Can they make an announcement like I've heard for the quinceteras that have been celebrated on many ships that I have been on? Can I order a special cake? Decorations that are sweet sixteen appropriate? Any other ideas. Thanks, this is my first sweet sixteen (my older child is a son), and I really want it to be special, she chose this instead of an elaborate party. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I just returned from the Rhapsody and every night you could hear a group of waiters singing Happy Birthday to people. Also I saw a couple of people walking around with mini cakes. You can purchase them from Royal Caribbean's website at: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=00006z7VQsi9uh21dMaEn0qI-Uc:10ktdmm42?catCode=DECOR

Here are different cakes and decorations. Maybe you could talk with the pursure's desk once you get onboard and see maybe if they could add a happy birthday into the announcements they do each day, or maybe even the captain wishes her a Happy Birthday.

As for decorations, I would recommend bringing your own, in your carry on. They tell you that your room will not be ready until 1 p.m. but many people I talked to went there first thing and dropped off the carryon luggage (we did not we headed right for the windjammer) but you could have your husband bring your daughter and her friends to the windjammer to eat lunch and you can sneak out to go to the "bathroom" and go decorate her room on your own, so when she see's the room for the first time it will be all decorated.

Maybe at that time you can tell the room attendent about the birthday and maybe she can make an appropriate towel animal to do with birthdays.

Thanks for your great idea mariemorgan... I did not think of bringing decorations in my carry-on luggage... my son is turning 15 on our next cruise (voyager of the seas, Feb. 25 from Miami).

eileen226, I don't know if girls can be the same as boys, but I know that my teenager will KILL me if I have Happy B-Day sang to him at dinner. He has warned me extensively on the subject! Actually, why don't you discreetly ask her three friends to help you on the subject? I would guess that they would have great input!

The cruise line offers room decorations..they are about $29 and they are really fun! We had them done and they had balloons and streamers and a big Happy birthday 3-d decoration..it was worth the $$ to have it done for us and not have to try and sneak around and do it ourselves! They had them hung from the ceiling and across the room, they stayed up for our 4 night trip and then we took some of them home w/ us. They did bring a piece of cake w/ Happy birthday in the dining room and the waiters sang :) If your DD will not kill you for it :)

On my last cruise, my niece turned 16. I ordered the decorations for the room as well as a cake delivered to the room. Walking into a decorated cabin that first day was so exciting. Later that day we had ordered a cake which was delivered to the cabin and our group of 10 squeezed in and had our own little party. Her birthday was actually the 2nd day of the cruise but we wanted to start off the week celebrating. Of course we told our cabin steward it was her birthday and first thing the morning of the 2nd day when we opened our cabin door he was there to wish her a happy birthday. He even had her name remembered already. As we were getting ready for dinner that night (which was formal night) roses were delivered to our cabin which friends who were with us on the cruise had arranged. Her mother also brought with her from home a corsage of candy for sweet 16. I hadn't seen one of those in a long time but it was very cute even though my niece thought it was crazy. At dinner we did tell our waiter it was her birthday and he brought her dessert with a candle in it. The decorations stayed up all week and at the end of the week she took the big sign down and took it home.

Archived