Native Way Stingray City and Reef tour was absolutely AWESOME!!!

Scout and Jeff

We were on the Disney Magic the week of December 17, 2005. Around 8:45 a.m. we met Eldon right where the tender dropped us off. We waited until our 9:00 a.m. departure time of a few more families from other ships. We promptly left at 9 and were loaded on an air conditioned bus. We arrived at the marina about 20 minutes later and our guide led us to our boat. There were about 17 of us, which was a perfect number.

I guides were excellent, they gave us a little tutorial when we arrived at Stingray City. They each caught stingrays and made sure that everyone had a chance to hold, pet and even kiss them if we wanted!

We then moved onto the reef for some snorkeling. Lots of fish, an eel and our guide let a few hardy souls out to try and find a nurse shark.

The guide collected the $30 per person on the return trip. He also pointed out another boat that was a cruise ship tour and there must have been 150 people on board!

There was also a videographer onboard who took video of us while we were at Stingray City and later snorkeling at the reef. On our way back to the marina she let people view clips of the video she took. Everyone on the boat was in the video. I think she was selling them for $60.

Lots of smiles on the way back. From the email correspondences with Sharon at Native Way to the guides, buses, equipment and boats, everything was first rate.

I like the way you put that..."Lots of smiles on the way back".

We are doing this tour on the 10th, we sail tomorrow. Very much looking forward to it. I have been just incredibly impressed with Sharon's professionalism and prompt, helpful replies.

Thanks for the review...we are considering this when we are in GC in a few weeks. Was this the 2.5 hour tour? How much time would you say you actually spent in the water with the stingrays and in the water snorkeling? We really wanted some kind of excursion that lasted all day with mostly snorkeling, but our ship's times are making it difficult (10 am-5 pm), so we may end up with a shorter one. Thanks for your help!

We did a tour like this with Captain Marvin. It was very good. We only had 8 people on our boat so lots of personal attention. We also had a DVD done. It was $55 which included the shipping. It's great to watch on some of these cold winter nights. We spent about about 45 minutes with the sting rays and 45 minutes or so snorkeling. We also had a chance to go to the turtle farm and "Hell" with a Captain Marvin guide before we went to Sting Ray city. Don't think I would do the turtle farm or Hell again. It was OK but if would be worth doing again. Sting Ray City was excellent though.

Hi! Thanks for your comments on Native Way tours. We will be on the Disney Magic in April and I'm considering a Native Way tour. We will have 4 adults an 8 yr old and a 2.5 yr old. Only 2 of us snorkel so I'm wondering if the stingray city and reef tour would be any fun for the others (especially the 2.5 yr old). Sharon said that they will bring a stingray over for folks to touch if they don't want to swim but I'm just wondering if it would be a waste unless you swim.

Thanks...Lynda

I'm considering this tour for 4 adults and an 8 yr old and 2.5 yr old. Is is interesting enough for those that don't swim?

Wow, hard to say. There was an elderly couple on board that did not get in the water. You can see the stingrays swimming below from the boat. They seemed to be looking and enjoying themselves. The water is only up to our waists. Our 6 and 8 year olds did not have trouble standing with the Stingrays, there really is no snorkeling here.

As for the reef, it is about 8-14 feet deep, they did have life vest for those that wanted to use one. But the salt water is very buoyant (sp) and my 8 year old were kept up with little to no energy.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived