documents required

linnied

I have all the documents that are requested for our July 8th Disney Cruise, however I think I may have a problem. Maybe someone will have the answer, since all the government agencies cant seem to give me a definate yes or no.

I was born at a US Airforce base hospital in the Philippines. My birth certificate therefore, is issued by the Republic of the Philippines. My Father was a Lt. in the Airforce. Both parents are listed as American and the place on birth on the Philippines issued birth certificate is listed as USAF Hospital, Clark APO. I also have my mothers 42 yr old passport that has an American Embassy stamp in the passport adding me for her re-entry to the US. Is all of this going to be all that is required for me to show as citizenship documentation upon arrival at the ships terminal?

The cruise line, as well as the state department tell "it should be" but that does not sit well with me. I really do not want to have to spend $100.00 for a passport that will be used once.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am sure I am not the only armed forces child born abroard to have this situation.

Thanks all :)

When in doubt spend the money for the passport. That way you can avoid any potential problems and possible disappointment. You want to be relaxed when you show up at the cruise terminal and not worried whether they will accept your paperwork. Remember, the person at the government agency advising you it's adequate is not the person at customs that determines if you get back into the country. This would be a good question for your travel agent.

You WILL use the passport again. After this cruise you will be booking many more in the future :D ... and beginning 12/31/2006 the passport will be required. It lasts for 10 years ... you'll be all ready for the next one! I use my passport anytime I travel - in or out of the country. It's just so much easier. You have lots of time ... just do it! You'll be glad you did.

This is exactly the situation where it is best to have a passport - no questions at all about citizenship. Go ahead and spend the $97 now (before the price goes up) to ensure that you have no hassles on your vacation.

The document that you need is called a "Consular Report of Birth Abroad" form FS-240. This is the same document you will need to obtain your passport should you eventually decide to get one of those. Your parents should have recieved one of those, in addition to your Philippine birth certificate, when you were born.

More details, including instructions on how to apply for a copy of the FS-240 can be found on the State Dept. travel/passport website, here is a link to the page regarding foreign births to US parents:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_828.html

The document that you need is called a "Consular Report of Birth Abroad" form FS-240. This is the same document you will need to obtain your passport should you eventually decide to get one of those. Your parents should have recieved one of those, in addition to your Philippine birth certificate, when you were born.

More details, including instructions on how to apply for a copy of the FS-240 can be found on the State Dept. travel/passport website, here is a link to the page regarding foreign births to US parents:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_828.html

This is correct, our son was born in Germany under the same circumstances as you were. He was able to go on the cruise using this document and his driver's license. But we are getting him a passport for the next one.

hey raytownlady,

which document did your son use? The concular report, or the birth certificate? I do not have a Consular report. I do have a American Embassy stamp in my mothers 42 yr old passport. If my parents registered me with the consular and got a report it is long lost. I really do not think they did though. My mother can not remember ever doing that, and she feels if she got a report, it would be with all my other papers. Is this something I can do now, 43 years later?

Thanks for the help - anyone

In order to show proof of your citizenship (or obtain a passport) you need either the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) OR a Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350). The Certification is essentially a certified copy of the consular report, except that you get it from Washington DC instead of the consulate overseas. These two documents are the foreign-born equivalent of a US birth certificate for citizenship purposes. The details are on the state department link provided above. If a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) WAS issued, then you will be listed in the files and can obtain a Certification. If the embassy added you to your mother's passport, then they were supposed to issue the report. I would start there; it is probable that the appropriate documents were issued and you just don't have a copy (just like many folks can't find their US issued birth certificates and have to get a certified copy).

If it turns out you do not have an FS-240 (one was never issued for you), then you need to take action to get a recognized document to 'prove' your citizenship. A passport proves both US Citizenship and Identity. In your case, even if you never use a passport to travel, it would be worthwhile to pursue one, especially if it turns out that the FS-240 was never filed. The documents you have show logically that you have US citizenship, but neither are a legal citizenship document for you.

It gets a little trickier here, but you do have a very good start. You can prove your mother is a US citizen, and you can prove that you were born to her in a foreign country. The logical assumption is that you are a US citizen, but what you need is the legally recognized citizenship document. Please do not delay; you will have to jump through more hoops than than the typical citizen, and it is far easier to obtain the necessary affadavits and records sooner rather than later, particularly while your parents are still living. (You may be requested to provide birth certificates of your parents, their marriage certificate, DD214 from your father, proof that you lived in the US for one year prior to the age of 18, and school records to supplement your 'claim').

Archived