Is Hatos Cave worthwhile?

Afloat

I have read many reviews on TA which have had varying opinions about visiting Hatos Cave. Many say that the cave is very hot and humid, not all that picturesque, and that photo opportunities are limited. Others have enjoyed the experience including being able to see the small bats in the cave.

We have visited Howe Caverns in New York, Luray Caverns in Virginia, Harrison's Cave in Barbados, and Wind Cave National Park in South Dakota.

Would our time in Curacao be better spent elsewhere?

• 3 weeks later...
I have read many reviews on TA which have had varying opinions about visiting Hatos Cave. Many say that the cave is very hot and humid, not all that picturesque, and that photo opportunities are limited. Others have enjoyed the experience including being able to see the small bats in the cave.

We have visited Howe Caverns in New York, Luray Caverns in Virginia, Harrison's Cave in Barbados, and Wind Cave National Park in South Dakota.

Would our time in Curacao be better spent elsewhere?

We (party of 2) hired a taxi for 3 hours for a 'personal tour' of Curacao, that included a stop at the caves ($8 for a guided tour) while our taxi driver (Erwin, Taxi #73 who was awesome), waited the 50 minutes or so, for us to complete the tour.

Defiantly not up there with Howe Caverns but we thought it was worth the price, and there are photo stops, which are limited due to not using flash for not disturbing the bats. They also had multiple fans running in the areas, were the tour temporarily stopped, while the guide would provide and describe the particular cavern you were in, or the history of the people who used the caves hundred of years ago. Our tour was full.

The drive out to the Caves was a little mini tour of that part of Curacao, plus the view of at the top of the mountain, where you enter the caves was also cool to see.

Edited by MACE

• 5 months later...

I think the tour is now $9.  We opted to not go.  Once you've seen a few caves, you've seen a "cave".  If someone has never seen a cave then yes it might be worth the experience.  However, sounds like you have seen quite a few and might be better to spend your limited time on the island exploring something more unique to Curacao.  Just my 2 cents worth.....