Post-Cruise - What to do?

macdon9876

We sail on Seaside in August with our two kids and my parents.

Our flight home is on a Saturday, from FLL at 2:30 pm, so we expect we'll want to be at the airport for noon or so.

Any suggestions on what to do the morning of disembarkation? When we sailed on Divina in 2016 we did the self disembark, and we were standing on the pier at 7am! I've read that Seaside self disembark is a bit less organized, but I'd think we'll still be off with plenty of time to spare.

Our first thought was to rent a car at MIA and drive to Fort Lauderdale, explore a state park or something, grab an early lunch, and then return the car to FLL. How much of a hassle is it to get from the Miami port to MIA to pick up a rental? We've taken the Alamo shuttle from MIA to the port - does it operate in reverse?

We also considered taking a taxi or shuttle van to FLL, store our luggage there, and then use the Fort Lauderdale trolley, but the timing doesn't seem to work well - I think it would be too tight.

Initially our flight home was later in the afternoon - closer to 4pm - but Air Canada decided to change the itinerary. 2:30 is an awkward time - too long to sit around at the airport (especially with kids), but too short to really do much in the morning.

Thanks for any suggestions!

The Alamo shuttle will take you from POM back to MIA for a rental. National, Thrifty and Enterprise also offer shuttles to MIA.

Is there a ship's excursion (Everglades?) that will drop you at FLL in time for your flight?

Storing your bags and then using Uber or a taxi is another option if the trolley will not meet your needs.

You can take your time getting off the ship - enjoy one last breakfast in the MDR - and get off closer to 9:00 instead of 7:00 to avoid a long wait at FLL

Thanks for the reply.

MSC only offers two excursions on disembarkation day, and both require flights from MIA later in the afternoon.

We did consider staying on the ship and we may still do so, although as I understand, MSC requires guests to be out of the cabins by 7am. We figured, if we are being kicked out anyway, might as well get off the ship and find something to do!