Taking alcohol on board

maxx

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, is there a way of tricking them, so if we buy some of our other duty free booze and hand that over, but still have a couple of smaller bottles in our bags, will they still go through our bags if we have already given some in????

Any ideas? I'm still thinking the old vodka in the water bottle trick might work?

There must be someone who has been on recently who can comment on how strict they are on this ???

Friends just returned from a cruise on Pacific Star and took a large bottle of some spirit on board in their suitcase. No problem. No questions. No nothing!

Enjoyed it in their cabin throughout the cruise.

I'm going to take 2 bottles, put them in the case and if asked questions plead ignorance. All they'll do is take the bottles off you and hold them until the end of the cruise. I mean the book says you can take 1 bottle of wine each adult. Sooooooooooo............

I also wonder if they are mainly targeting the 'younger' group rather than the 'more mature!!!' group.

Kerri

lias - so will you do the same and pack 1 x bottle ?

Of course! I like living on the edge :D

What can they do? At worst confiscate it and return it to you at the end of the cruise.

I have not lost sight of my earlier suggestion in this thread of taking it in a water (sports) bottle and in my hand baggage rather than packing it in a suitcase.

Actually, during our last cruise I ordered a bottle of red wine in the restaurant, and due to one thing and another only had one glass of it. I asked if I could take the rest of the bottle back to my cabin, and they said that was fine.

For some reason, it tasted so much better in the cabin.

well if everybody else is gonna give it a go, I'm not missing out!!! Yeah, I def like the old vodka in a water bottle trick also. But then it is obvious you are trying to sneak stuff on?!

Yeah, I would say they will especially target young singles going onboard, rather than couples!

well if everybody else is gonna give it a go, I'm not missing out!!! Yeah, I def like the old vodka in a water bottle trick also. But then it is obvious you are trying to sneak stuff on?!

Yeah, I would say they will especially target young singles going onboard, rather than couples!

Mands the vodka in a water bottle reminds me of a friend who went to an outdoor concert in the Yarra Ranges and weren't allowed to take their own alcohol:mad: so they put vodka in a water bottle and unless it was an unopened bottle they had to drink the 'water' before being able to enter the grounds!!!!:eek: lol lol Can you imagine it........:D

Kerri

Hmmmm, somehow I think I would def get off to a bad start! I think it would be best for me to try with the small duty free bottle I'm thinking of, no harm in that!

I will log on and let everyone know if we get on with booze or not. I'm hoping whoever goes on Sky before us will let us know!

Wouldn't it be bad if people from P&O were reading these posts and taking notes about all these little "tricks" to try and smuggle alcohol on board. :):) Next it will be them searching all your bags and making you open every bottle you have so they can smell and taste it's contents :D:D:D

Friends just returned from a cruise on Pacific Star and took a large bottle of some spirit on board in their suitcase. No problem. No questions. No nothing!

Enjoyed it in their cabin throughout the cruise.

Hey Lias,

Did they mention if the kids dinner has been started yet or if the kids are still eating at the 1st & 2nd sittings?

Thanks,

Chaz:)

Okay, is there a way of tricking them, so if we buy some of our other duty free booze and hand that over, but still have a couple of smaller bottles in our bags, will they still go through our bags if we have already given some in????

Any ideas? I'm still thinking the old vodka in the water bottle trick might work?

When I went a couple of weeks ago all they duty free shops delivered the alcohol to the ship themselves and you didn't get it back till the last morning.

I also have to mention that a mate of mine managed to get a bottle of Jim Bean on board by simply placing it in the middle of his luggage. No one said anything to him. There were even a couple of times where he left it sitting on the desk in our room while the cabing stewerd was cleaning. Had no problems what so ever.

i was on same cruise as jock i just stuck a bottle of booze in backpack and walked straight onboard in vila if you booze after lunch you have to carry it yourself when you board there is a desk in stairwell where you have to hand it over just walk straight up stairs they wont make any effor to call you over unless its relly obvious you are carrying 50 bottles of booze. there are 2 reasons they changed policy is i heard during schoolies cruises on sun 1200 kids all rocked up with2 bottles each and apparently when they left disco parties sprung up all over ship at 5/6 am kids running down corridors spewing up etc so they just banned across board if you are over 35 i dont think they are too worried. the other reason is they want you to drink in their bars

I know we all sound like alcoholics but I'm trying this trick.....a bottle of bourbon wrapped as a present with a card attached saying "open all you sail, have fun, love from the kids", in the middle of the suitcase. And I will plead ignorance if caught. They won't check us, we are too old (I hope). And there will be vodka in a water bottle as well.

I know, we do sound like boozers, but it's just nice to have something in your cabin that you can drink at your own convenience, it will make no difference to what we will spend anyways.

I like the present trick. It's our 5 year wedding anniversary, good chance we will get a bottle of something from somebody to say "Happy Anniversary"!:D :D

Hey Lias,

Did they mention if the kids dinner has been started yet or if the kids are still eating at the 1st & 2nd sittings?

Thanks,

Sorry for the delay Chaz, just back on deck with the boards tonight (Monday).

To totally confuse the issue, the wife said that the kids were at dinner and the husband says he can't recall seeing any there. I have no idea what they were drinking :eek:

I need to sit them down and ask the question again with both of them present!

While I'm here, this is the second time I have heard about this: Has anyone else heard the rumour that the new ship (late '07) will be positioned in Brisbane and not Sydney? I laughed it off the first time I heard it but someone told me again today that it was a strong possibility and that they were told that during a cruise. Maybe I should run it by my friends to see if they can agree on the answer to that one! :rolleyes:

While I'm here, this is the second time I have heard about this: Has anyone else heard the rumour that the new ship (late '07) will be positioned in Brisbane and not Sydney? I laughed it off the first time I heard it but someone told me again today that it was a strong possibility and that they were told that during a cruise. Maybe I should run it by my friends to see if they can agree on the answer to that one! :rolleyes:

I also have heard that they have not made the decision on where to base the new ship and that it is very possible it will be Brisbane. Brisbane is closer to the Islands and also will have a brand new wharf facility so may make more sense.

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

Channel 9 Brisbane News ran a story tonight about P&O banning BYO alcohol. This is not news to any of us but I thought it interesting that they put this story on the "News". I wonder what prompted the story - maybe just a disgruntled passenger wanting to stir up some bad press for P&O.

Archived