Any suggestions for Guadeloupe

Naveron

We are taking the Seabourn Legend out of St. Thomas on March 19, 2006. One of our ports is Guadeloupe which I have never been to and have no clue about. Does anyone have any suggestions for Seabourn tours or activities?

Naveron,

Personally I would stay on board the ship. We had a port call there last year on the Pride and it was the pits. I didn't hear one good thing from anyone that came back to the ship. Maybe this time the excursions will be better.

mcboo

The port of call in March is Deshaies. Seabourn has never been there before. They previously called at Pointe-a-Pitre, which, I agree, is not a thrilling port.

Deshaies by contrast appears to be a charming little place that has a sort of "Old Caribbean" charm to it. Wooden Creole houses and a great beach--Grand Anse, of course--the best on the Basse Terre side of the island.

bgood

We too were on the Iles de St, Terre-de-Haut. It was beautiful. No cars, just scooters, bikes and lovely paths to very private beaches. Also some of the best pastries we've ever had, filled with island flavors like guava and coconut.

If the ship doesn't sail there, I believe there is a ferry from the main island.

Thanks for your replies. What was wrong with Point-a-Pitre, if I may ask?

It was a dump basically.

There was a comedian on our last cruise on the Legend which stopped there.

He had a line in the show the night after stopping there.

It went something like this.

"...I have some good news and bad news for everyone...The bad news is there was a nuclear bomb explosion today....The good news is it was in Guadeloupe...."

No one missed the joke...A slight bit crass but as the say....."he hit the nail on the head".

The cruise ship terminal was in a real slum. We went on an excursion to a rain forest canope walk. On the way back we stopped at a wonderful waterfall/swimming hole. What totally spoilled the stop was the drunk locals smoking dope there.

Might have been a bad day. But I would not spend my money on a vacation there.

Archived