Anyone With An Uncommon Food Allergy? How Did NCL Handle It?

Just to chime in from the other side of the kitchen. I am a Chef and have been for the past 30 years. The number one thing you must do is self advocate. Ask the questions, when you get an acceptable answer...ask the question again! I train my staff and have three certified Alertrain trainers on my staff, and all of my culinary team is Allertrain certified...I am very, very lucky. Most places do not have that luxury, I can't say for sure but my guess is NCL does the same for some of their culinary team. However, as a guest your point of contact is someone in the front of the house that does not understand the preparation methods, where it was prepared, may know the ingredient list but not what the ingredient is. Be prepared to explain in detail. If it is an "odd" allergy, print the basics on a business card and have them at the ready. I know I will read it and then ask you questions. If the allergy is vapor related, meaning airborne particles effect you, understand the environment of a cruise ship will not allow for a "free" environment. For instance if you have a gluten allergy, understand you will be dealing with gluten in the air, can't be helped. But seriously, no Chef wants a sick guest. It tears us up so please, I beg you, ask, ask, and ask again. On land if the Chef gives you an attitude over that...walk away and find a better place as that Chef's heart is not in it and his/her food will show it. At sea deal with how you must

What a great post with some very good advice. You have a great attitude. You are a credit to your profession.

If it's OK to ask this, how do you handle people around you who might have garlic, onions etc in their food? Is it like a peanut allergy where you can't even have peanuts in the air or nearby?

Depends on the amount and the distance - the smell of garlic can make me nauseous and cause headaches. On the Epic last year, I dined usually before the rush, when the signature restaurants were less crowded. When I’m out with friends, they know about my allergy so they avoid things like garlic fries/bread/etc :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums