HIke to Christ Statue

cpayne

We will be in Havana from 2 p.m. Fri until 8 p.m. Sat. One of the many things we would like to do is to take the ferry from the cruise ship terminal and hike to the top of the Christ status. Trying to figure out how much time to allot for this. Has anyone taken the ferry before?

How far of a walk is it from the ship terminal?

How often does the ferry run?

What are the hours of the ferry?

7 days/wk?

Any idea how long it might take to hike from the ferry terminal to the top of the statue?

Thanks in advance!

Does it have to be a hike? The tour drivers/guides will take you to the statue as part of the old car tours. OldCarTours.com. I used them 2 times when I visited last year. I was a solo female cruiser/passenger. They treated me like a queen. You also get to pick the car you want for the tour.

We plan to do the classic car tour earlier in the day. We are not pre-arranging the tour so we can in fact pick the car we want. Silly, but I already envision a purple Chevy convertible! :) The car tour can take you to the Christ Statue, but I think you still have to "hike" to the top correct? We were thinking of saving our car tour time for other things, enjoying a ferry ride and a good "hike" from the ferry to the top of the status to take in the view?

We plan to do the classic car tour earlier in the day. We are not pre-arranging the tour so we can in fact pick the car we want. Silly, but I already envision a purple Chevy convertible! :) The car tour can take you to the Christ Statue, but I think you still have to "hike" to the top correct? We were thinking of saving our car tour time for other things, enjoying a ferry ride and a good "hike" from the ferry to the top of the status to take in the view?

By not pre-arranging a tour with a people owned tour company like OldCarTours.com, (NOT a cruise line tour, I would never recommend that), then you are taking a chance that the 'driver' at the entrance to the port will 1) speak english and 2) say anything during the drive. The drivers at the port are just that .... taxi drivers. They are not 'guides', and I have read MANY threads here on CC where people were very unhappy with the driver not having a basic grasp of english, NOT saying anything, just pointing as he drove.

I was at the statue ... I don't remember a 'hike' ... Maybe we had to walk up to where it is.

We will be in Havana from 2 p.m. Fri until 8 p.m. Sat. One of the many things we would like to do is to take the ferry from the cruise ship terminal and hike to the top of the Christ status. Trying to figure out how much time to allot for this. Has anyone taken the ferry before?

How far of a walk is it from the ship terminal?

How often does the ferry run?

What are the hours of the ferry?

7 days/wk?

Any idea how long it might take to hike from the ferry terminal to the top of the statue?

Thanks in advance!

..I am not sure about the hours. I do know that you take the Ferry Terminal in Havana Vieja to Casa Blanca. From there the walk is a short but steep road up the hill, the Fantastic views on the City from there!!!. The ferry ride is very inexpensive but I am not sure the exact amount

You do not need to hike at all. The statue is a couple hundred feet from the parking area, but is largely level ground. We spent less than 10 minutes there. We got out of the car, walked to the statue, took in the view, took a few photos, and then were on our way. I would not really consider it a “destination” worthy of spending more than 15 minutes max.

If you are set on taking the ferry, then spend your time at the fort. There is a museum there, lots of vendors, and enough to justify more than a brief visit.

The ferry terminal is adjacent to the cruise terminal, so it's just a brief walk. Beware that one ferry is to Regla, so catch the one to Casablanca. The correct fare is presently 20 centavos (equivalent to a penny), but most tourists willingly part with 1 CUC (even 1 CUP is excessive!).

Ferries run every 30 minutes or so, but I do not know what time they finish for the day.

An enterprising way to get to the Christ Statue is to first do a classic car trip of an hour or two, finish it at El Morro where you can easily spend an hour, then walk mostly downhill, first by the outdoor military display and onward towards Che's casa ( https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g147271-d2334553-Reviews-La_Cabana_de_Che_Guevara-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=291097430 ) which is opposite the statue. Then continue downhill to the ferry - no more than 10 minutes.

The ferry is indeed 20 centavos (CUP). Anyone paying 1 CUC can be sure it is going straight into the pocket of the fare collector. It runs until about 10:30 at night. Remeber there are two ferries, to two different destinations. You do not, if headed for the statue, want to board the ferry for Regla.

The ferry building is quite close to the cruise pier. Turn left. You can probably see it then. It's the glass building on the water.

If you drive, the road runs close to the Christ statue. By ferry, you do have to walk uphill a few minutes from the dock.