Rough Seas???

Hflors

How rough are the seas cruising from New York to the Carebbean in January?? Anyone have any input? I keep thinking it could get pretty dicey around capt hatterus. We are thinking about the Spirit next January (07) Information please from the experts.

(Please no rogue wave horror stories, thank you very much!)

Thanks

Cape Hatteras does get bouncy almost any time of year. Its a graveyard of ship. That being said the modern cruise ship gets through it in a few hours. I have had rougher weather in the Carribean at times from Florida. It depends on what you consider bad. Bad to me was the 30 foot waves between Florida and Columbia, but we didn't get sea sick. We did get sea sick in a fishing boat in Hawaii... Cape Hatteras was a piece of cake compared to that, in January.

PS I would still drive. Taking a public non cruise line bus is like....taking a bus

On the Dec 18 Spirit sailing, we only had one rough sea day of the 4 (5 if you count the 2 half days there and back) full sea days. You could tell some people didn't enjoy it that much but I think if you take your Dramamine, you should be OK.

On the flipside, on the 2nd sea day down, we had the smoothest seas you could ever imagine. They were as close to glass as you could get. Liquid Blue ;o) With the sun, it was a great day to be out on deck or by the pool.

We sailed on the Dec 22 Dawn and had a great trip, calm seas all the way. In Jan 2004, on a similar trip from NYC, we had just a bit of a bounce, but the stabilizers are great on the Dawn, and we hardly felt a thing.

Your cruise was a calm as an inside passage going down :)

DAWN12232005.jpg.065f13c18e17558546365bc20151e24e.jpg

Archived