Star Princess Aloha Deck Cabin 608 Good/Bad? HELP!

cruiznbabe

I could sure use some advice! Myself and 3 friends just booked Star Princess, Aloha deck cabins 608 and 610. We had tried online/cruise line itself and changed dates soooo many times trying to accomodate everyones desires that by the time we booked this (we sail 4/23/06) I gave in to not having quite a mid ship for ship level and the rooms are more aft than midship.

3 years ago sailed on Grandeur of the Seas and ended up in the infirmary, I was so seasick they IV'd meds into me to get me to stop throwing up. UGH! I have a real problem with motion and am now feeling uptight over agreeing to this booking?

Can anyone please tell me of their experience ..good or bad if you were in or near these cabins?

My doc says he will prescribe patch for me. But I've been reading so much about sea bands and ginger root I'm not sure what to do. I only know I do not want to go through sea sickness ever again.

Thanks in advance!

Cruiznbabe from PA

So we were on Star in the high 400's of Aloha deck, had swells up to 10-12 feet and weren't bothered by that at all, actually we wouldn't have know the ship was moving at all if not for the water splashing out of the pool. This was our first cruise. Now keep in mind those waves are just moderate.

If you have a big problem with motion you may not even be happy with a mid ship on the lowest deck? Aloha is pretty high and your trip is going to depend on where you are going and what the seas are like. I can tell you Star rides as smooth as my car but that ain't going to make you feel good if you are yakking up your insides.

There is no way to tell you if your cabin location is going to be OK. A bazillion people walk around with that patch behind their ears, have your doc write a script for you and wear it. You can always take it off. Have some ginger caps with you as well. Good luck and don't sweat about it, not much you can do now, you should be fine.

As soon as I got home I check to see if someone cared enough to help me out on this. Thank YOU! I think I will get my doc to prescribe the patch, didn't know you could take it on and off though. I have what's called Meniere's Disease (equilibrium problem) My first cruise I sailed on Adventure of the Seas beautifully, it was balcony. Grandeur was oceanview. But I know the sea was a little rough for Grandeur and smooth like glass for Adventure. This time on Star Princess I tired desperately for mid level midship & actually was going for Caribbean Princess...but on the dates we could go on they were ALL reserved. So that's how I ended up on ALoha/Star Princess.

Thanks for the advice and I'm going to arm myself with best meds I can and from past experience I'll know not to try to fight of the sea sickness..it just grabs ya and it gets worse fast. So..down to the infirmary I go. I just wont wait so long.

• 2 weeks later...

We just took the Star Princess on the Transatlantic cruise from Copenhagen to Fort Lauderdale in Sept. 2005 and were on Baja, cabin 728. That's one deck below Aloha. The seas were incredibly rough due to the time of year and the North Atlantic, but very few people had a problem with seasickness. We were with people who had Aft and midships cabins on Aloha and heard no complaints. So rest assured that you'll be just fine in your cabin!

We were on the star last week. Western -midship Aloha 420 seas were moderate to rough we did feel the ship moving it was side to side and up and down, once or twice it did feel like a corksrew. I took ginger pills and used motion-eaze during the day at night I took walmart brand bonine (makes me very sleepy)

It work so well I was out on the lower decks taking pics of the waves crashing against the boat it was so much fun!! Now I am one of those folks that cant ride a rollercoster without getting sick.

Now it I could just get my house to stop moving lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we were on Star in the high 400's of Aloha deck, had swells up to 10-12 feet and weren't bothered by that at all, actually we wouldn't have know the ship was moving at all if not for the water splashing out of the pool. This was our first cruise. Now keep in mind those waves are just moderate.

If you have a big problem with motion you may not even be happy with a mid ship on the lowest deck? Aloha is pretty high and your trip is going to depend on where you are going and what the seas are like. I can tell you Star rides as smooth as my car but that ain't going to make you feel good if you are yakking up your insides.

There is no way to tell you if your cabin location is going to be OK. A bazillion people walk around with that patch behind their ears, have your doc write a script for you and wear it. You can always take it off. Have some ginger caps with you as well. Good luck and don't sweat about it, not much you can do now, you should be fine.

Hi

We were on the Star over New Year's. I too have a big problem with motion sickness. I bought Bonamine (anti-nauseant) took it every morning and I never had a problem. I also took the wrist bands (which I never wore) and bought giner tablets (just in case) again I never needed them. We were on Baja deck (one below you) and I never felt any movement at all. The only time I felt it a little was in the main dinningroom (which is on a lower deck and at the back of the ship). Go prepared and enjoy yourself.

For some reason my post disappeared. Short answer, I was on the Star over New Years. I get very sick but was great on this cruise. I went prepared.. Tok Bonamine every morning starting with the day before the cruise. I took but never used: wrist bands and ginger tablets. We were on Baja front cabin (2nd from the front) and never felt any motion in the cabin. The only time I felt it was in the dinning room at dinner and in the aft pool. Water was splashing everywere, but that was fun!!!

Go prepared and enjoy yourself.

I took Ginger Trips, I found them at the health food store. I started talkng them twice aday two day's before we left. Morning and evening. I continued through the rest of the cruise. When the seas got really rough I took another one. Never had a problem and I get very sea sick.

We just came back from the Star on Sunday. We were in Aloha 503 and my brother-in-law was in 505. We had a few days of rough seas but never had a problem.

We were under the pool area that was not carpeted. At 3 and 4 in the AM on one day we heard someone moving chairs and tables around. We think it must have been the crew cleaning the deck. We complained about it and never had the problem for the rest of the cruise.

Archived