Cruises for older folks

jobythebay

600 kids :eek:

I cruise Hal. I pick and choose the time of the year.

Early Dec is great for no kids.

Oct and Nov aren't bad either.

Do not cruise on Holidays.

Do 10 days or more. The more days, the less kids.

I have seen very few kids on my cruises. Maybe 15 tops. That is a far cry from 600.

Avoid the Vista Class ships. Most are doing 7 days and seem to draw more kids. (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam)

There is a new Vista Class ship, Noordam. It is sailing out of NY and doing 10 day cruise. I don't think there are many kids, but only time will tell.

• 4 weeks later...
Well that's ok! Live and learn and look for your next adventure! I can't wait till the second half of 07 comes out, that's what I am waiting for. Not sure where I'm heading but I will be heading somewhere!

I am waiting for the fall 2007 Tahitian Princess itinery to come out. I'm thinking about a back-to-back or some such thing since it is so far to travel. I belong to a women's traveling group and we are waiting on Princess to come out with the prices and itinerys.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TRACKER1

:cool: HELLO FELLOW SENIORS!

I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR BLOGS AND INFORMATION AND CONCUR WITH YOUR VIEWS I AM IN MY EARLY 60'S AND MY WIFE IS 58 WE LIKE TO TRAVEL IN OCTOBER ON RHAPSODY OUT OF GALVESTON AND WE HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH KIDS AT THAT TIME OF THE MONTH WE HAVE BEEN ON 6 CRUISES, TWO WITH CARNIVAL AND FOUR WITH RCCL,WE LIKE TO DRIVE TO GALVESTON BECAUSE WE LIVE IN FORT WORTH,TEXAS! WE BOOK THROUGH THE CRUISE LINES EARLY AND HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS AS WELL,WE EAT AT LANDRYS AND OTHER SEAFOOD PLACES! I DONT LIKE TO FLY BECAUSE OF THE HASSELS OF SECURITY! I MIGHT CHANGE MY MIND LATER! CARNIVAL IS GEARED TOWARDS FAMILIES AND KIDS IT'S GOOD FOR YOUNGER FAMILIES IN THEIR 30'S AND 40'S BUT OCTOBER IS COOLER AS WELL FOR THE CARIBBEAN! WE GOT SOME BAD TREATMENT FROM CARNIVAL ON THE ELATION AND WE HAVENT BEEN BACK SINCE WE LOVE THE RHAPSODY!HAPPY CRUISING AND ENJOY EACH OTHER WITH THE TIME THE GOOD LORD GIVES US CHERISH EVRY MOMENT AND DAY!!!

GET OUT THERE!!!:)

This Texan loves Rhapsody of the Seas too!

I call our last October cruise the "Boll Weevil Cruise" since we wandered all around the Caribbean the week of Hurricane Wilma 042202_1319_92_prv.gif... looking for a home... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif as the old song says. We were not able to make any of the 3 ports on our original itinerary due to Wilma's damage. The first part of the week we were in 15-20 foot seas. The seas calmed down toward the end of the week, and thanks to Capt. Teo and his friends on land, we did finally dock in Progreso and Ocho Rios.

Was it a problem and was I upset? Not at all! I consider the ship my destination, not the ports. She is a fine ship with the friendliest staff/crew I've ever experienced. I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and especially the extra sea day!

And Tracker 1, I sincerely hope you don't mind, but this fellow Texan needs to pass on some information to you.

From the Cruise Critic Guidelines:

ALL CAPS

Typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considering shouting by many, so please double check your caps lock key before posting.

And if you don't mind another friendly suggestion, it would be best for you to title your posts something other than your Tracker1 user name. It could be confusing to the other members as they scroll through looking at the different post or thread titles. They expect the titles to pertain to the subject of a post or be a greeting.

Glad to have another Texan and fellow Rhapsody lover aboard Cruise Critic!

042202_1319_92_prv.gif Happy trails to you... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

Kat 50.gif

Guest TRACKER1

Thanks Kat,

Im new at this and yes my caps were on and I thought title meant your user title! No offense takenfrom correcting me and I appreciate all constructed criticism,so anyone else just jump in and guide the old dog through the hoops if any mistakes or wrongs done;). Im still going to try and work on the title more!This is my first time ever doing this so everyone have patience!:D Happy Cruising to all!:cool:

• 1 month later...
Guest TRACKER1

Hello Everyone!

Me and my DW just got back from our fishing and camping trip and wanted to check in and say hello to everyone.Wish you all could be here for some nice fish fry! My DW loves to camp and fish but cruising is hers and mine first love!

I have Cingular wireless and was checking into calling from Cozumel,the Caymans and Jamica, you can go to http://www.countrycallingcodes.com and find all that information it's a very good site! Looking forward to Oct. 15th. 2006 cruise also we were checking for next Year around September and found some good prices on Rhapsody! See you all later and hope to get to meet all of you one of these Cruises! Best to your others and Families!!

Let's go Cruising!!!

Robert&Annie

My parents, ages 76 and 78, are looking to go on an Alaska cruise. They have been on several Caribbean cruises, but never to Alaska. It is always been a dream of my father's to go on one. Does anyone have any suggestions on what cruise line is best and any other suggestions you might have?

Guest TRACKER1
My parents, ages 76 and 78, are looking to go on an Alaska cruise. They have been on several Caribbean cruises, but never to Alaska. It is always been a dream of my father's to go on one. Does anyone have any suggestions on what cruise line is best and any other suggestions you might have?

Hello Melly424!

Royal Caribbean has a cruise going out of Seattle Washington and back to Seattle! There are others!It depends on where you live, and if your parent's are up to flying!If necessary look for a port close to home! Research cruise lines, me and my DW only cruise on RCCL! We probably will do a Alaska when we both Retire! God willing! Are you going with your Parent's? or are they going alone?can they stand the cold? certain times of the year it;s nice and not bad weather, do some research on date's,weather, and also look at some good train tour's! They would enjoy stopping at certain towns, and ability to do some shopping as well! Let me know what you find out on this thread I will check off and on.

Good Luck

Robert&Annie

When you have a chance to check it out, there is an answer posted on the Test Forum to your inquiry.

042202_1319_92_prv.gif Happy trails to you... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

Kat 50.gif

Guest TRACKER1
When you have a chance to check it out' date=' there is an answer posted on the Test Forum to your inquiry.

http://skins.*****/skins/mailskins/em/042202/042202_1319_92_prv.gif Happy trails to you... http://skins.*****/skins/mailskins/em/042202/042202_1319_92_prv.gif

Kat http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/50.gif

Yo Kat!, Felow Texican,

Thank's Mam! Much appreciated:D You go Girl!;) Thank's for guiding this fellow Texican along:D Now I have to experiment like a kid with a new toy see my posting on the other site! Whoopee Yippee Ki Yea!:D

• 4 months later...

Jobythebay--The first thing our TA (my step-sis) said to me when she was helping us decide on our first cruise was, "Well, you don't want Carnival", referring to the (commonly perceived) younger, wilder crowd.

She set us up with an E. Carib. on RCI. There were lots of kids on that cruise, but they were not a problem.

We have been on 3 RCI Carib. cruises, each with hundreds of kids, which were occupied and well-behaved.

Our Celebrity cruises to Alaska and the PC had hardly any. The PC cruise last year was an 11-night in Feb. and there were 7 (SEVEN) kids total.

Our European cruise last June on Jewel had kids, but not 600+ like on the RCI Carib. cruises. (and those were all during school time)

I think the above posters are right about the longer cruises having less kids. We may never go back to 7 nights again. It's a wonderful feeling on day 7 to know you don't have to leave yet.

We also love children, having 5 of our own and 8 grands with one on the way, but can't imagine how parents can truly relax when they still have the constant responsibility staring them in the face. :(

We are taking Mercury to the Mex. Riv. in Jan and will be interested to see how many kids there are. It's an 11-night, so we are not expecting many.

Try Celebrity--it's not always more expensive than the other mass market lines and certainly less $$$ than the "luxury" lines. Every cruise we've taken has been super luxurious for us. We stick to RCI and Celebrity--if it ain't broke don't fix it! :D

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

Archived