Cruising Pregnant

Orlandorandall

This last April we had a large group cruising which included my best friend and her healthy 21-year-old daughter. Her due date was the after the middle of June so she planned on going even after she found out she was pregnant thinking we would be months away from her delivering. She ended up having preeclampsia that came upon fast and her blood pressure rose dangerously high within days and she had her beautiful baby girl at 27 weeks which was about a month before we left (she ended up not going with preemie in intensive care). Prior to this I would’ve thought no problem, but after this I think I would be hesitant to encourage anyone to cruise in the second half of pregnancy. If that it happened on the cruiseship her daughter likely wouldn’t have made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My friend went with us on a 4-night cruise (girls trip!) when she was 5 months pregnant with her first child. I think she had a note from her doctor but I don't think the cruise line asked for it. The cruise left from NYC and went up along the coast into Canada, so we ported frequently and were never that far off the coast.

Being pregnant for the first time she had no idea what, if any, complications she would have. Thankfully everything went smoothly.

I personally would not chance it if it were me, or my adult daughter, even though in my friend's case we ported in modern cities with modern medical facilities that were close to the U.S. I certainly would have advised my friend against it if it was a long itinerary with lots of sea days that ended up at a place with questionable medical facilities.