Koningsdam NOV 11TH 2018

nimiq

• 1 month later...
Yes. We will be on Koningsdam for 10-day S. Caribbean cruise. Hope to see you on aboard.

Robert & Dennis

Hello Robert and Dennis,

Where are you guys from ? Have you planed any excursions yet ? Is it your first time on Holland America ?

Sea ya

Eric

Hi Eric,

We live in California...a little town called Cambria, right on the Pacific Ocean, halfway between Los Angeles & San Francisco. It is just a few miles south of Hearst Castle/San Simeon...in case you have ever driven along the Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy 1).

Yes, we have been on Holland America many many times. We are 4-star level...only a month or so shy of making it to 5-star. Our first HAL cruise was way back in 1984 when we were "mere children." HA. This will be our first time on Koningsdam. From the looks of your past-cruises list, you have been on a lot of big ships. We tend to stay on smaller ships...Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Maasdam, that size. I think the largest ship we ever sailed on was the Grand Princess, which was at the time the largest ship built. She is probably considered mid-size now. Since we both took early retirement (at 55) we've done several really long cruises: 51 days, 82, 89. LOVE the sea days on these long trips! (Oh...we are "young 60s" now, fyi)

We have not planned any shore excursions for this cruise. Actually, we were thinking that we would more likely go ashore to just see what there was, and then get back on the ship to enjoy the pool while most of the passengers were away. We have done "the beach thing" in ports like these over the years. And we are not shoppers. Looks like these ports are really designed for shopping tourists, and snorkelers. Having said that, there's a possibility that we will change our minds and book an excursion at the last minute in one port or another. Have you guys booked anything?

Robert.

Hi Eric,

We live in California...a little town called Cambria, right on the Pacific Ocean, halfway between Los Angeles & San Francisco. It is just a few miles south of Hearst Castle/San Simeon...in case you have ever driven along the Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy 1).

Yes, we have been on Holland America many many times. We are 4-star level...only a month or so shy of making it to 5-star. Our first HAL cruise was way back in 1984 when we were "mere children." HA. This will be our first time on Koningsdam. From the looks of your past-cruises list, you have been on a lot of big ships. We tend to stay on smaller ships...Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Maasdam, that size. I think the largest ship we ever sailed on was the Grand Princess, which was at the time the largest ship built. She is probably considered mid-size now. Since we both took early retirement (at 55) we've done several really long cruises: 51 days, 82, 89. LOVE the sea days on these long trips! (Oh...we are "young 60s" now, fyi)

We have not planned any shore excursions for this cruise. Actually, we were thinking that we would more likely go ashore to just see what there was, and then get back on the ship to enjoy the pool while most of the passengers were away. We have done "the beach thing" in ports like these over the years. And we are not shoppers. Looks like these ports are really designed for shopping tourists, and snorkelers. Having said that, there's a possibility that we will change our minds and book an excursion at the last minute in one port or another. Have you guys booked anything?

Robert.

Hello Robert and Dennis,

Never heard of that little town of Cambria but I’m sure it must be nice like most places in California.

As for us we are only two stars on Hal and this also will be our first experience on the Koningsdam. We have done Westerdam twice,Eurodam,Nieuw Amsterdam and in December the inaugural Nieuw Statendam.

You are so right the Grand Princess is for sure now a mid size ship but we have done great cruises on that type of ship. That is why we are elite on Princess.

We love traveling and have done over 40 cruises and own a place in Puerto Vallarta. This makes it easier for our cold Montreal winters.

I love Seas days as this is the moment to relax but have realized as well that when in port and you stay onboard that is even better :-)

We will probably go to the beaches for a few hours as we are not big shoppers as well.

We have nothing booked yet but looking into renting the golf cart on Bonaire as this sounds interesting.

Do you guys usually attend the FOD (LGBT) meetings ?

Sea ya

Eric & Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Eric & Martin,

Yes, we do enjoy going to the LGBT meetings. We have met many good friends over the years. But It depends on what time they are. We have been on some ships where the time is really weird. But we will go to one of them for sure so we can meet the people on this cruise. Including you two! The first night of this cruise we have dinner plans with some people we met on a previous cruise. The dinner time is not fixed yet, and we don't know what time the LGBT group meets, so we might have to wait for Night 2 to meet with the group. We'll see. If you want to email me outside of here, I'm at RSTIEMAN at Gmail.com

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Robert and Dennis

OMG !!!

I guess when I came back to this site well it was down and was never able to see this post so will finally now reply via private email.

talk to u soon 

Eric