Pre-Cruise in Rome - IHG hotel that is walking distance to HOHO route?

gkrnjlr

This is a really specific question. I'm hoping that someone can help, though.

We're looking to spend a few days in Rome before our cruise. I have a lot of points with IHG and would like to stay at an IHG hotel that is within walking distance to a hop on hop off stop. Can anyone help me with this info?

Thank you!

IHG doesn't have a lot of hotels in Rome, and most are not very central (sadly the Intercontinental de la Ville is no more...).

We did stay at the Holiday Inn Express Rome - San Giovanni a few years ago. Certainly not the most charming neighbourhood, but perfectly safe and fine, and with the advantage of being walking distance to Tuscolana train station, from which we could both take a train up to Termini - where you can catch any number of HOHO buses - and down to Civi to catch our cruise. The hotel itself is fine, typical HIX stuff, with a pretty decent breakfast. All in all it met our needs.

Looking at the IHG website just now, I see a Hotel Indigo that looks pretty well located - you might want to check that one out as well.

Can't help with IHG hotels, but have you read the current thread about Rome's ho-ho's?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2673015

It's very much in line with previous threads on the subject

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/search.php?searchid=137946935

Can I suggest that if you don't use a hotel in the historic district you choose one handy to a metro or train station

(or mebbe a suitable fare-stage bus route)

JB :)

Thank you for all the information. It looks like HOHO isn't the way to go in Rome. In the alternative....with having limited time, what is your thought on taking a Tours by Locals tour? Or is it easier to do Rome on our own?

Thanks!