norwegian epic info re: children

Hello smhg731. If you're bringing a 4 year old on a cruise, my best advice would be to keep a close eye on him. You don't want him running around and getting lost on a big ship. They do have a kids club which you can leave him in for a certain amount of time every day to have some "me" time. It's customary to tip the people at the end of the week for their services there.

There are kids water areas that would be nice for you to bring him to, most people will appreciate if you get his plate for him at the buffet. People will also appreciate very much if you happen to be at a show and he starts screaming or crying that you take him out of there. I'm not saying that will happen, some children are angels all the time. But we were on a cruise on the Epic in April, and a woman's baby was crying loudly during a show. It took her a good 20 minutes before someone from the crew asked her to take her baby out. Granted, having a responsible grandmother like you, I'm sure your 4 year old is much more well bred than to start up in the middle of a show. My experience with grandmothers is that they are very sweet but also know how to give "that look". The one that says "no ice cream, and to bed early with you, and your favorite toys will be taken away".

But I digress, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Bring lots of sunscreen, the waterproof, 45 or more SPF spray or old fashioned slather it on with your hand kind. A nice wide brimmed hat too. Find out approximately what time every day the steward makes up your room and does the turn down so you can adjust your schedule accordingly. It's usually close to the same time every day. If your little one needs to be in bed at a certain time, ask your steward to hit up your room first for turndown. If necessary, he will make up the couch for your grandson to sleep on. (I usually give the steward a tip on day one and also at the end of the cruise).

You should join the roll call for your cruise and see about going on excursions that are child friendly with other parents or grandparents you can meet on here whom are also bringing children of a similar age. You might even find a playmate for your young one, and if you hit it off with someone else, you might end up doing other things together.

I hope you enjoy your cruise, the Epic is a wonderful ship.

Archived