What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know

What are Roll Calls?

Roll Calls are discussions where you can "meet up and chat with" other Cruise Critic members on the same cruise on-line before you sail! Your Roll Call topic is the place where members can get to know one another before they sail, and exchange tips and information about their particular line, ship, Ports of Call, shore excursions/tours, transportation, etc.

How Do I Find my Roll Call?

You can start on our main Roll Call page.  From there select your ship's forum or cruise line forum for our smaller cruise lines. At the top of every ship or cruise line's Roll Call forum you should see our search tool.  Use this tool to be able to locate the Roll Call for your sailing by selecting the month of your sailing. The Roll Call Finder will return results for the month of your sailing; simply locate yours and click the title of your roll call to take you to the first page of the existing Roll Call topic. You can begin joining in the fun by using the  Reply to this Topic button and begin typing your reply.    Click SUBMIT REPLY when you are finished typing. (Note: You must be registered and logged in with Cruise Critic to participate on a Roll Call topic since they are for members only.)

What if there isn't a Roll Call for my sailing?

You can start one!

• Click  ROLL CALLS  
  • Click your Ship's or Cruise Line's name to open the correct forum 
  • Click the Start New Topic button at the top of the Ship's roll call forum.
  •  In the Title Box, type the name of your ship, your sail date and year. 
    • When you create a new ROLL CALL topic, you MUST include the sail date in the subject line, and here's the suggested format:    Example: January 1, 2016
    • Please note the suggested date format with the month first and spelled out completely will help your new Roll Call topic appear in search results
  • Type a message in the message box and click the Submit Topic button.

Important to Note:

Some Roll Calls get started very early, others start closer to sailing dates; some are very active; some tend to be a bit more quiet. Regardless of how active a Roll Call is, this is a great opportunity to meet your fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you. 

Once you have located your ROLL CALL topic for your line, ship and sail date, you should either bookmark the URL, or follow the discussion so that you will receive e-mail notification of new posts.

To follow a ROLL CALL topic or any topic on any forum:

• Click Follow at the top of the topic
  • Choose how you would like to be alerted:    
    • One email per day with all new content from that day
    • One email per week with all new content from that week
    • Do not send me any notifications
    •  Let others see that I follow this
  • Save your choices by clicking the follow button at the bottom of the list.
  • Please note: If you are a new member, your preference is set to automatically follow any topic that you start or reply to.  You will receive an email and notification when any new content is posted to your followed topics.  You can always change your preferences by clicking on your member name and choosing Manage Followed Content from the drop down menu.

In the future if you ever want to locate your previous posts you can read more here: How to Find your Own Posts

Shore Excursion/Tour Shares in ROLL CALLS

This is an excellent benefit of participating on your ROLL CALL. If you are sailing on a specific ship and departure date, you may post your share request on the specific Roll Call topic for your cruise. You are targeting the specific group of people who would be most inclined to share since they are already sailing with you. Please remember, do not start a new Roll Call topic on the Roll Call forum or any other message board forum with your share request. Use your existing Roll Call topic to post your share request. Please note, our Guidelines do not allow personal ads looking to share shore excursions/tours, transportation, etc. anywhere else on Cruise Critic.

I'm New Here, Can I Post Looking for a Shore Excursion/Tour Share?

Technically, the answer is yes. However, our ROLL CALLS are not a classified ad area for your tour share. They are, as mentioned above, a place for cruisers to get to know one another before they sail. You will receive a much better response to your TOUR SHARE REQUEST if you take some time to read the entire ROLL CALL; get to know the other members and allow them to get to know YOU first! That is the spirit of our ROLL CALLS.

If my ROLL CALL is slow may I post it in other forums?

No. Please don't post topics looking for others cruising with you or share requests for tours, excursions, transportation, etc. on any of our other forums. Roll Calls became so popular that there was a need to set up a separate area for them. We ask that you keep Roll Call type discussions on your existing Roll Call topic in the ROLL CALL forums and keep the other forums open for general cruise discussions according to forum topic

If you have further questions, or need roll call assistance, please write to:  Help@CruiseCritic.com 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1