Cruise ending in Dubai

cruiseluvva

I'm posting this even though it is somewhat dated because no one has responded yet.   We did disembark in Dubai but it was  4-5 years ago.  As we recall there was minimal if any customs process. If there was it was not memorable.  We got off the ship, found our luggage and waited for our car to arrive.  It was hot (April or early May) and the parking area for pickup was chaotic but eventually driver showed up and we left for hotel.  Things may have improved since then because it seemed that they were using a temporary type structure.  We also have landed at Dubai airport about a year later and  there was a more formal customs process.  Hand luggage was x-rayed and at least one was searched.  My wife had several prescriptions and we had a prescription letter from doctor.  (Digital registration was not required so I can't comment on that.)  They did not seemed to be concerned with medicine.  The only thing they asked about was a laser pointer that I had in my bag (that I use for presentations)--they wanted to know what color it was--apparently green is a no-no.  Mine was red so they didn't care.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for your information, we boarded our flight to Australia just over a week ago in Dubai.  The last time we were there was in 2015 and one of the biggest changes we noticed is that they have an extra, hand security search in their 'holding area', just before boarding the plane.

This is after, checking in, going to the gate, then showing your boarding pass & passport to then be sent to another 'holding area' before actually getting on the plane.  Here all fluids above 100mil  were confiscated - even water in baby bottles!  All duty free!  Though there was some sort of system with the duty free where staff were taking it off the passengers and saying that it would be available when they arrived at the other end.

We were caught because I bought two bottles of water (airside - secure) while waiting at the gate so my husband could take his medication when we boarded the plane.  Sometimes it takes quite a while before they get around to handing out a drink.  This water (sealed) was confiscated!  Everyone was hand searched.